President Trump's push for a citizenship question on the next census has been permanently shot down in court.

On Tuesday, a federal judge in New York issued an order that prevents adding the question on the 2020 census in any shape or form.

The Trump Administration already announced it was abandoning efforts to amend the census questionnaire. 

Last week, the president said he would seek citizenship information from other agencies - not through the census.

But in Tuesday’s ruling, Judge Jesse Furman said the court will keep monitoring the issue, to make sure his order is enforced.

President Donald Trump previously decried the Supreme Court's ruling saying the question was sought under a false pretext.

The court said the Trump administration's explanation for wanting to add the question was "more of a distraction" than an explanation.

The American Civil Liberties Union's Dale Ho, who argued against the citizenship question's addition at the Supreme Court said "there really, really is not time" for the administration to revisit including the question.

The decision came on the last day the court was issuing opinions before a summer break. 

The Census Bureau's own experts predict that millions of Hispanics and immigrants would go uncounted if the census asked everyone if he or she is an American citizen. And immigrant advocacy organizations and Democratic-led states, cities and counties argue the citizenship question is intended to discourage the participation of minorities, primarily Hispanics, who tend to support Democrats, from filling out census forms.

Democratic-led states argued to the Supreme Court they would get less federal money and fewer seats in Congress if the census asks about citizenship because people with noncitizens in their households would be less likely to fill out their census forms.

The court ruled 5-4 with Chief Justice John Roberts joining the four liberals in the relevant part of the outcome.

"If judicial review is to be more than an empty ritual, it must demand something better than the explanation offered for the action taken in this case," Roberts wrote. "In these unusual circumstances, the District Court was warranted in remanding to the agency, and we affirm that disposition."  

A lower court found the administration violated federal law in the way it tried to add a question broadly asking about citizenship for the first time since 1950.

U.S. Senator Catherine Cortez Masto (D-NV.) released the following statement:

“Today’s decision is a clear sign that the Supreme Court recognizes this administration tried to lie its way through our judicial system in order to add a political question on citizenship to the 2020 Census. While I’m hopeful that this signals the end of this naked attempt to undercount communities of color in Nevada, and across the country, I continue to be vigilant. A citizenship question has no place on the U.S. Census. As I’ve said before, Secretary Ross should resign and President Trump should abandon this attack on communities in America. The fight ahead of us in Nevada is to ensure that every individual is counted, and I look forward to working with state and local agencies, as well as community organizations, to ensure that we are all counted and Nevada receives the representation and federal dollars it is owed.” 

Nevada Representative Dina Titus (D-NV) released this statement: 

“The Trump Administration’s effort to add a citizenship question to the census is a disgraceful attempt to rig election outcomes and silence communities of color,” said Congresswoman Titus (NV-1). “The Supreme Court’s decision makes clear that Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross misled Congress and the American people about his true intentions. He should resign. We cannot be silent about this attack on our schools, our hospitals, our roads, and our voting power.”

(AP contributed to this report.)