Winter Storm Updates With 2 News
I-80 Sierras: still snowing over the summit and down through Truckee. Down to one lane in multiple locations.
- I-80 Westbound closed
- I-80 Eastbound open with chain requirements from Cisco to Truckee
- NDOT has reopened Mount Rose Highway from State Route 28 to Thomas Creek Road. Chains are still required.
- I-80 Eastbound reopen
- U.S. 395 Reopened between Bishop and June Lake
Caltrans says as of noon the estimated time for reopening I-80 in the Sierras is at 2 p.m. for the eastbound lanes and 3 p.m. for the westbound lanes.
- US 50 in El Dorado County has reopened
- Chain control from Pointview to Meyers
- Highway 80 remains closed.
URRENT HIGHWAY CONDITIONS
MONO AND INYO COUNTIES- The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) has announced the following current roadway conditions as of 7:02 a.m.
CHAIN CONTROL RESTRICTIONS
U.S. Hwy 395
CLOSED from 1 mile north of the junction at State Route 203 to the south junction at State Route 158S
R1 from 29 miles north of Bishop to 1 mile north of State Route 203
R1 from the south junction at State Route 158S to 7 miles south of Lee Vining
R1 from 8 miles north of Lee Vining to the Nevada State Line
State Route 203
R1 from the junction at U.S. Hwy 395 to Forest Trail Road
R2 from Forest Trail Road to the Mammoth Mountain Inn
State Route 182
R1 from Bridgeport to the Nevada State Line
State Route 168W
R1 from Aspendell to 12 miles west of Bishop
State Route 158S
R2 from the south junction at U.S. Hwy 395 to 3.5 miles north of June Lake Village
State Route 120E
R1 from the south junction of U.S. Hwy 395 to 5 miles east of the south junction at U.S. Hwy 395
State Route 108
R1 from 3.8 miles west of the junction at U.S. Hwy 395 to the junction at U.S. Hwy 395
Requirement 1 (R1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all-wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
NOTE: (Four wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
ROAD AND PASS WINTER CLOSURES
SR 120W: TIOGA PASS
SR 108: SONORA PASS
SR 89: MONITOR PASS
SR 158N: NORTH JUNE LAKE LOOP (JUNE LAKE & MOUNTAIN ACCESSIBLE)
SR 168W: W/B @ ASPENDELL
SR 120E: MONO MILLS ROAD
SR 203: REDS MEADOW (MAMMOTH LAKES & MOUNTAIN ACCESSIBLE)
SR 270: BODIE ROAD (CLOSED DUE TO SNOW)
Caltrans reminds drivers to carry chains and to be prepared for winter driving conditions. Keep a full tank of gas, carry blankets, water, food, a shovel, gloves, a flashlight, and sand or kitty litter to provide traction in case your vehicle becomes stuck. The traveling public is advised to drastically slow down and proceed with caution.
(The California Department of Transportation contributed to this report.)
- I-80 Sierras: still snowing over the summit and down through Truckee
- Down to one lane in multiple locations
- 395 from 1 mile n/o SR203 to SR158
- CA-89 from mile post 21.0 in El Dorado County to mile post 0.5 in Nevada County in California.
- Washoe County to mile post 15.0 in Washoe County in Nevada.
- I-80 from California Stateline to Imlay in Nevada.
Adverse Driving Conditions:
- Adverse Driving Conditions - on I-80 from Carlin to Wells in Nevada.