Vargas Extends Streak to 33 but Aces Lose in Vegas
Vargas extended his franchise-best hit streak to 33 games with a single in the top of the 8th inning.
– ldemaro Vargas once again was the lone bright spot for the Aces offense. With what was likely his last at-bat of the evening, Vargas extended his franchise-best hit streak to 33 games with a single in the top of the 8th inning. His streak is the longest in the Pacific Coast League since Joey Cora in 1989. During the streak, Vargas is batting .374 (55-for-147), with 11 doubles, 14 RBI and an OBP of .421. He has surpassed the previous franchise mark held by Jake Elmore. Tonight against the 51’s, Vargas went 1-for-4 with a run scored in the Aces 10-4 defeat.
Former Aces outfielder Zach Borenstein led the 51’s offensive with a 3-for-5 performance. Borenstein drove in three runs and scored three of his own. Aces starter Matt Koch was tagged with his second consecutive loss. Koch went four innings, allowed seven runs on nine hits and struck out four. Southpaw Jared Miller allowed three runs in .2 innings of work, increasing his ERA to 6.86 on the season. Chris Owings had his best 2018 offensive performance for the Aces, going 3-for-4 with two runs scored and two extra-base hits. Reno will square off again against in-state rival tomorrow night at 7:05 p.m. Jake Buchanan will get the ball for Greg Gross’ Aces and face 51’s right-hander Cody Martin.
Top Performers - Reno Aces
• Chris Owings (3-for-4, 2B, 3B)
• Ildemaro Vargas (1-for-4, 33-game hit streak)
• Christian Walker (2-for-4, RBI)
Top Performers – Las Vegas 51’s
• Zach Borenstein (3-for-5, 3 R, 3 RBI)
• Dominic Smith (3-for-4, 2 RBI)
• Christian Colon (2-for-2, 2 R, 2 BB)
Notes & Information
Streaking: Ildemaro Vargas has hit in 33 consecutive games, breaking the Aces franchise record previously held by Jake Elmore in 2012. During the streak, he is batting .374, (55-for-147), with 24 runs scored, 11 doubles, 14 RBI and an OBP of .421. There have only been five players in Aces history with streaks of 20+ games. Jake Elmore (31, 2012), Ildemaro Vargas (32, 2018), Tony Abreu (24, 2011), Chris Owings (23, 2013), and Ketel Marte (22, 2017). In 2017, Ketel Marte went 37-for-98, .378, with nine 2B, three 3B, one HR and 16 RBI from April 29 through May 22. The longest single-season hitting streaks in PCL History are as follows: 1. Joe DiMaggio (61) 1933 – San Francisco 2. Jack Ness 49 (1915) – Oakland Oaks 3. Jim Oglesby 44 1933 – Los Angeles 4. Joey Cora 37 1989 – Las Vegas (Modern Era Record) 5. Ildemaro Vargas 33 2018 – Reno Aces, Frank Baumholtz 33 1950 – Los Angeles John Dickshot 33 1943 – Hollywood Stars 7. David Doster 32 2004 – Fresno Grizzlies 8. Jake Elmore 31 2012 – Reno Aces Pedro Guerrero 31 1979 – Albuquerque Dukes Kevin Hooper 31.