Save up to $700 with the best smartphone deals for May 2018
There are many reasons why you might be in dire need of a new phone, whether for increased battery life or for other reasons. With companies like Apple, Samsung, OnePlus, Huawei, and Motorola recently rolling out new flagship devices and holiday sales underway, now is your chance to take advantage of slashed prices on quality smartphones that will blow your old model out of the water.
If your phone needs an update and you’re ready to score a discount on a new wireless device, here are a bundle of smartphone deals available right now. The list includes a handful of sales on unlocked smartphones, exclusive carrier offers, and even a few ongoing holiday deals, and can save you as much as $950. Getting a new phone doesn’t have to cost you an arm and a leg.
The best deal
T-Mobile: If you don’t want to buy two devices to get the best smartphone deal, then T-Mobile is currently offering some rebates on Android and Apple phones. These deals let you get between $500 and $750 back in bill credits when you buy a Samsung Galaxy S9, S9 Plus, Note 9, LG V40 ThinQ, LG G7 ThinQ, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XR, iPhone XS, or Galaxy S8 Active when you trade in an eligible device and add a new line.
More carrier smartphone deals
Cellular service providers regularly offer enticing incentives to get you to switch to their LTE plans. So if you’re looking for a new carrier, you can save a good chunk of change and even score a free device by taking advantage of one of the smartphone deals from Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, or AT&T:
- Verizon: Verizon Wireless is offering holiday discounts and BOGO deals on a handful of Apple and Android phones right now, giving you $750 to $800 back in bill credits toward a second Google Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, LG G7 ThinQ, or LG V40 ThinQ when you either buy two of these Android devices (within the same brand) or if you buy an iPhone XR plus an iPhone X, XS, or XS Max. The Samsung Galaxy S8 is also on sale by itself for $100 off, the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL for $200 off, and the iPhone 6s for $230 off.
- AT&T: AT&T has a pile of trade-in rebates on name-brand Android and Apple flagships, giving you $700 to $790 in credits toward a second iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, XS Max, iPhone XR, Samsung Galaxy S9, Galaxy S9 Plus, or Galaxy Note 9 when you buy two on AT&T Next. Or, you can get as much as $400 toward the LG V35 ThinQ or LG V40 ThinQ with an eligible trade-in, or as much as $950 back toward a second one when you buy two.
- Sprint: Sprint currently has some big discounts on Android and Apple devices, letting you get a second free iPhone 8 when you buy an iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus with two new lines (or one new line and one upgrade). Other Apple deals let you score the $750 iPhone XR for free with the lease of an iPhone X, iPhone XS, or XS Max, and the iPhone X is on sale all by itself for just $337.50 ($18.75 per month). Android deals knock the Samsung Galaxy S9 down to $162, the Galaxy S9 Plus down to $252, or the Galaxy Note 9 down to $360 when you purchase one on an 18-month rent-to-own Sprint Flex lease and add a new line — no trade-in necessary.
Unlocked smartphone deals
Carrier offers typically require you to sign up for a specific service or trade in an old device to get your discount. These smartphone deals, on the other hand, let you enjoy big savings on these unlocked mobile phones when you buy them outright:
- Moto G6: The Moto G is still one of the best budget Android smartphones on the market today. Amazon is offering Prime members the unlocked sixth-generation Moto G for $200 ($40 off) and the G6 Play for $184. No Prime membership? No problem — B&H also has the G6 for just $185 and the G6 Play for $179 with $15 coupons redeemable on the product page.
- Blu R1 HD: Blu is a relatively new player that is challenging Motorola in the “budget Android phone” market. If you came here looking for one of the cheapest unlocked Android phones on our list, then check out the R1 HD. The unlocked 16GB R1 HD rings in at just $100 from Amazon.
- LG V30 Plus: LG’s 2017 flagship phone, the Plus-sized version of the fantastic V30, is on sale ahead of the holidays: Both Walmart and B&H have this solid Android device on sale for $400, saving you about a hundred bucks off of its going street price.
- Asus Zenfone 4 Pro: Even at its regular price of $600, the Asus Zenfone 4 Pro is one of the better non-flagship Android phones out there. Now, you can pick up an unlocked version of this device for a considerably more affordable $365 from B&H, saving you $235.
- LG G6: You can save a lot of money on great hardware by opting for last-gen flagships like the excellent LG G6. You don’t need to tie yourself to a carrier to score a deal on this brand-name Android phone, though: B&H has it in stock for $330, a savings of $370, while Prime members can score it from Amazon for a little more at $360 ($340 off).
- Samsung Galaxy S9: The Samsung Galaxy S9 is one of the best Android devices to hit the market in 2018, and if you don’t want to tie yourself to a carrier just yet, then you can score the unlocked version from B&H for just $580, for a $140 discount.
- Moto X4: Another affordable entry in the Moto series, aimed at the midrange price bracket, is the Moto X4, which boasts an impressive water-resistant all-glass body. Prime members can grab an unlocked X4 for $180 (a nice $70 discount) from Amazon. If you don’t have Prime, B&H also has it on sale for $190.
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 2: We’ve seen no shortage of alleged “flagship killers” that too often fall short of expectations, but the new Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 actually lives up to this promise. This budget-friendly dual-sim smartphone punches well above its weight at just $340 from Amazon after a tidy 51-percent price cut.
- Nokia 6.1: The Nokia 6.1 is all-new for 2018, and it’s arguably the best budget Android phone to come out this year, with hardware that outshines most other cheap smartphones. Both Amazon and B&H have unlocked models on sale for $179.
- Google Pixel: Another fantastic 2017 flagship (and one of our favorites) is the Google Pixel. You can grab an unlocked 32GB model for $340 from Amazon and save $310 off of its retail price.
Digital Trends may earn commission on products purchased through our links, which supports the work we do for our readers.