Vegas jury spares man death penalty in 2012 double-slaying - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe Sparks News, Weather, Video

Vegas jury spares man death penalty in 2012 double-slaying

Posted: Updated:

LAS VEGAS (AP) - A 27-year-old Las Vegas man has been spared the death penalty for the 2012 murder of a 10-year-old girl and her mother and a hammer attack that nearly killed the woman's husband.

The same jury that found Bryan Devonte Clay guilty last week of bludgeoning Ignacia "Yadira" Martinez and her daughter, Karla, to death and attacking Arturo Martinez decided Tuesday that he'll spend the rest of his life in prison with no chance of parole.

Arturo Martinez has said he forgives Clay. He told the Las Vegas Review-Journal he believed justice was served because Clay won't be on the streets again.

Martinez's two sons, then ages 9 and 4, were unharmed in the attack.

Clay told the jury Monday he was on drugs and doesn't remember what happened.

Information from: Las Vegas Review-Journal, http://www.lvrj.com

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Man Arrested after Pointing Gun at Firefighters

    Man Arrested after Pointing Gun at Firefighters

    Saturday, December 16 2017 7:06 PM EST2017-12-17 00:06:34 GMT

    Reno Police have arrested a man for pointing a gun at Reno firefighters early Saturday afternoon. Around 11:45 a.m. Saturday, RPD responded to 6004 Plumas St #G to assist Reno Fire. The Reno Fire Department originally responded on a report of a possible gas leak coming from inside of the apartment. Reno Fire approached the front of the apartment and the single occupant opened door and pointed a gun at two of the firefighters. The occupant immediately closed at the door and the firef...

    More >>

    Reno Police have arrested a man for pointing a gun at Reno firefighters early Saturday afternoon. 

    More >>
  • Power Outage Affects More Than 4,000 in Douglas County

    Power Outage Affects More Than 4,000 in Douglas County

    Sunday, December 17 2017 1:39 AM EST2017-12-17 06:39:57 GMT

    NV Energy says more than 4,300 customers are without power in Douglas County Saturday night. 

    More >>

    NV Energy says more than 4,300 customers are without power in Douglas County Saturday night. 

    More >>
  • Missing Woman Found Safe

    Missing Woman Found Safe

    Saturday, December 16 2017 10:01 PM EST2017-12-17 03:01:34 GMT

    Sparks Police have located a 54-year-old woman reported missing Saturday afternoon.

    More >>

    Sparks Police have located a 54-year-old woman reported missing Saturday afternoon.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.