Washoe County confirms first hantavirus death since 1995 - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe Sparks News, Weather, Video

Washoe County confirms first hantavirus death since 1995

Posted: Updated:

RENO, Nev. (AP) - Washoe County health officials have confirmed their first fatal case of hantavirus (HAN'-tuh-veye-russ) in more than 20 years.

The county health district said Wednesday a south Reno resident who contracted the disease transmitted by rodents died late last week.

Dr. Randall Todd, the director of the district's epidemiology program, says it was the second case of hantavirus confirmed in the county this year. He says it's the county's first fatality associated with the virus since 1995 and the first time ever the county has recorded more than one case in any single year.

Todd says the victim, whose name has not been released, most likely contracted the virus while working in an enclosed area, garage, barn or shed. He's is urging all area residents to take extra precautions in any area that may have mouse droppings or urine.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.