Believe it or not, it's possible to have more mold in the air outside than in your house, especially when it rains. The latest report from Allergy and Asthma Associates puts mold in the moderate level. 

"It was 900 parts per cubic meter," said Dr. Boris Lokshin. 

Which sounds like a lot more than it actually is. Mold isn't a common allergy in Western Nevada, but there symptoms are more often caused by weeds, trees, and sagebrush, but that doesn't mean you can't have a reaction. Some people are more sensitive to it than others. High amounts can also affect people with asthma. 

For allergy sufferers, there's a lot you can do in your house to help. Starting with making sure your mattress is clean. Having a good mattress protector is key. A good one will prevent any spills or sweat from seeping into your mattress and causing mold to form.

The protector will last you several years before you have to get a new one. It's not only your bed that can be a breeding ground for mold and dust, you'll also want to clean your houses duct work on a regular basis. Some filters cost more than others.

"It uses impaction and diffusion to pretty much trap 99% of airborne bacteria such as mold spores, fungus, things like that," said Chris Browne from Sierra Air Heating and Cooling. 

After a few months you'll need to get a new filter. A ceiling fan that circulates the air is a good idea as well.