Veterinarians Warn Pet Owners About Dangers of Foxtails - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe Sparks News, Weather, Video

Veterinarians Warn Pet Owners About Dangers of Foxtails

Posted: Updated:

Veterinarians are warning dog owners to watch out for foxtails. They have seen more cases of animals getting infected because of the plant's dangerous attachment to dogs. 

Foxtails attach similar to a fishing lure and are difficult to avoid when walking your pet. The seeds when embedded can lead to infection. The first sign a dog could have a foxtail is when they show irritation.

“If he's licking or pawing at his eye or his ear or sneezing excessively or gagging excessively, I would bring him into the clinic,” said Dr. John Crumley, Baring Boulevard Veterinary Hospital. 

The sharp needles on the plant can work their way into the nose, toes and inside the ears, eyes, and mouth. 

"Of course they're not sterile and when the little sea pods lodge in the skin or the fur they can work their way into under the skin and into the body cavities causing an infection.”

The best thing owners can do is have their dog avoid foxtails. Veterinarians say always check dog's eyes, ears, nose, and toes because most of the time owners can remove foxtails themselves. 

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.