It's That Time of Year: What To Do if You Find Young Wildlife - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

It's That Time of Year: What To Do if You Find Young Wildlife

Posted: Updated:
Summer is here and that means the Great Outdoors are full of baby wildlife. While it may be tempting to interact with young animals, wildlife specialists say that can do more harm than good.

Plus, it is also illegal to keep wildlife in your possession.

Spring and summer is when local wildlife agencies, animal shelters and vet clinics receive many calls from people who have found or picked up what many assume to be lost, orphaned, sick or injured wild animals – especially birds and ducks.

Experts tells us best thing you can do is to not interfere with Mother Nature; she will take care of them. Explain to children not to touch young wildlife, and if your children bring you a baby bird, help them bring it back to where they found it or contact someone licensed to handle them

Your first call should be to the state wildlife agency, Nevada Dept. of Wildlife (NDOW) in Churchill County, call 775-423-3171, or 775-741-6809 if after hours. Outside of Churchill County, contact the state NDOW office in Reno at 775-688-1500. For the Northern Nevada region, there are two licensed rehabilitators: Wild Animal Infirmary for Nevada (WAIF) at 755-849-0345; and Ms. Evelyn Pickels at 775-883-8658.

You can also go to these sites:

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.