Army Begins Probe of Sgt. Bergdahl's 2009 Disappearance - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

Army Begins Probe of Sgt. Bergdahl's 2009 Disappearance

Posted: Updated:
The Army says it has begun an investigation into the facts and circumstances surrounding the disappearance and capture of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl in Afghanistan on June 30, 2009.
 
In a written statement, the Army said Monday it appointed a two-star general to head the investigation. It said he will not interview Bergdahl until those who are currently helping Bergdahl recover from his five years of captivity say it is all right to do so. As a result, no timeline has been set for completing the investigation.
 
Bergdahl was released to U.S. military control by the Taliban on May 31 and spent nearly two weeks recuperating at a U.S. military hospital in Germany before being moved to Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas, last week.   (AP)

Statement by U.S. Army on Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl Investigation

The Army has initiated its investigation into the facts and circumstances surrounding the disappearance and capture of Sgt. Bowe R. Bergdahl from Combat Outpost Mest-Lalak in Paktika Province, Afghanistan on or about June 30, 2009. The Army has appointed as the investigating officer Maj. Gen. Kenneth R. Dahl, an Army officer with Afghanistan combat experience.
 
The primary function of this investigation, as in any other investigation, is to ascertain facts and report them to the appointing authority. These types of investigations are not uncommon and serve to establish the facts on the ground following an incident. The investigating officer will have access to previously gathered documentary evidence, including the 2009 investigation.
 
The Army's top priority remains Sgt. Bergdahl's health and reintegration. We ask that everyone respect the time and privacy necessary to accomplish the objectives of the last phase of reintegration. The investigating officer will not interview Sgt. Bergdahl until the reintegration team clears such interaction, so no timeline for completion of the investigation has been set.

  • Today's Top StoriesMore>>

  • Reno Police, FBI Investigate String of Fake Ransom Calls

    Reno Police, FBI Investigate String of Fake Ransom Calls

    Wednesday, September 3 2014 2:51 AM EDT2014-09-03 06:51:12 GMT
    Reno Police are working with the FBI on an investigation into a string of fake ransom calls Tuesday morning.More >>
    Reno Police are working with the FBI on an investigation into a string of fake ransom calls Tuesday morning.More >>
  • Suspect Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting Identified

    Suspect Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting Identified

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 9:19 PM EDT2014-09-03 01:19:35 GMT
    The Washoe County Medical Examiner's Office has identified 42-year-old Royal Shawn Bingamen, from Idaho, as the armed robbery suspect who was killed in a shootout with Reno police Sunday night.More >>
    The Washoe County Medical Examiner's Office has identified 42-year-old Royal Shawn Bingamen, from Idaho, as the armed robbery suspect who was killed in a shootout with Reno police Sunday night.More >>
  • State Attorney General Files suit against the Washoe School Trustees

    State Attorney General Files suit against the Washoe School Trustees

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 7:08 PM EDT2014-09-02 23:08:29 GMT
    The list of legal problems for the Washoe School District grew this morning as the State Attorney General's Office filed six counts each against the six trustees involved in the Pedro Martinez suit. But The School Board's outside counsel says he began working on settlement in that matter since last Wednesday and able to file it immediately. The suit alleges the trustees made six different violations to the State Open Meeting Law and that they should be paying $500 per violation. Those violati...More >>
    The list of legal problems for the Washoe School District grew this morning as the State Attorney General's Office filed six counts each against the six trustees involved in the Pedro Martinez suit. But The School Board's outside counsel says he began working on settlement in that matter since last Wednesday and able to file it immediately. The suit alleges the trustees made six different violations to the State Open Meeting Law and that they should be paying $500 per violation. Those violati...More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.