Red Cross Launches New Campaign to Raise Money for Fire Victims - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

Red Cross Launches New Campaign to Raise Money for Fire Victims

Posted: Updated:
On Thursday the American Red Cross kicked off its campaign to raise a quarter of a million dollars to help local families who have been affected by house fires. It's called the "Fire Hurts, Red Cross Helps" campaign.

It takes a lot to rebuild a home after you lose everything from a fire. So far the Northern Nevada Red Cross has raised more than $180,000 to help fund the campaign, but they still need more money.

We talked with Reno resident Jan Ryan, who is just one victim who lost her home to a fire. "My son was awakened and he tripped and knocked over a candle," said Ryan.

Jan says the fire happened in the middle of the night a few years ago, but she remembers it like it was yesterday. "The fire was burning out the wall, windows and up through the roof," said Ryan.

She and her son made it out safe, but lost almost everything. "My son was in his shorts, I was in my pajamas," said Ryan. "Arrangements had been made by the Red Cross for Motel 6 in Sparks and they'd given us a check."

On May 8th the Red Cross kicked off their annual campaign to raise money for people like Jan. The Northern Nevada Chapter CEO, Clara Andriola hosted the event at Fire Station #11 in Reno. During the campaign event, the American Red Cross workers were honored and local businesses contributed checks for the "Fire Hurts, Red Cross Helps" campaign. So far they've raised $188,000. "All the money stays right here in the community, " said Andriola. "The money goes directly to help pay for a place to stay, lodging, shelter, food clothing."

"The Red Cross doesn't receive any state or federal funding so all their operations are funded by donations," said Bryon Hunt of the Professional Fire Fighters of Nevada group.

A new PSA has also been launched to encourage more donations. Watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPgmnz9yn5M

Last year the Red Cross helped 281 families in Northern Nevada. Plus hundreds more in previous years which included the Washoe Drive Fire and Caughlin Fire. "You never know. When I went to bed, that Sunday evening at 8 o'clock. I had no idea that I would go through so many life-changing events in the next 12 hours," said Ryan.

The Red Cross still hopes to raise $62,000 more to meet their goal.

For information on how to donate, click here: http://www.redcross.org/nv/reno

From Chloe Beardsley
  • Today's Top StoriesMore>>

  • Suspect Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting Identified

    Suspect Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting Identified

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 9:19 PM EDT2014-09-03 01:19:35 GMT
    The Washoe County Medical Examiner's Office has identified 42-year-old Royal Shawn Bingamen, from Idaho, as the armed robbery suspect who was killed in a shootout with Reno police Sunday night.More >>
    The Washoe County Medical Examiner's Office has identified 42-year-old Royal Shawn Bingamen, from Idaho, as the armed robbery suspect who was killed in a shootout with Reno police Sunday night.More >>
  • State Attorney General Files suit against the Washoe School Trustees

    State Attorney General Files suit against the Washoe School Trustees

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 7:08 PM EDT2014-09-02 23:08:29 GMT
    The list of legal problems for the Washoe School District grew this morning as the State Attorney General's Office filed six counts each against the six trustees involved in the Pedro Martinez suit. But The School Board's outside counsel says he began working on settlement in that matter since last Wednesday and able to file it immediately. The suit alleges the trustees made six different violations to the State Open Meeting Law and that they should be paying $500 per violation. Those violati...More >>
    The list of legal problems for the Washoe School District grew this morning as the State Attorney General's Office filed six counts each against the six trustees involved in the Pedro Martinez suit. But The School Board's outside counsel says he began working on settlement in that matter since last Wednesday and able to file it immediately. The suit alleges the trustees made six different violations to the State Open Meeting Law and that they should be paying $500 per violation. Those violati...More >>
  • Paleo Program to Lose Weight

    Paleo Program to Lose Weight

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 7:03 PM EDT2014-09-02 23:03:32 GMT
    The paleo lifestyle might be the right thing for you to lose weight.  At least a local doctor's office thinks so.More >>
    The paleo lifestyle might be the right thing for you to lose weight.  At least a local doctor's office thinks so.
    More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.