Reno City Budget Includes 35 Firefighter Layoffs - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

Reno City Budget Includes 35 Firefighter Layoffs

Posted: Updated:
The City of Reno announced 35 firefighter layoffs, two weeks ago. The cuts will go into effect July 1 because Reno will not receive an $11.4 million federal grant. The Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) grant would have been enough to pay for 50 firefighters, but the city was able to use money from the general fund to save 15 of those jobs. Still, the RFD budget will be nearly $8-million less for the next fiscal year. That's a 19% decrease.  The city is using one-time funding from the Regional Transportation Commission to pay off City Hall Debt, which saves money.

"It's equivalent to somebody paying off their house early," Andrew Clinger, Reno City Manager said. "You have your monthly mortgage payment. If you paid your mortgage off early, you would free up those mortgage payments going forward."

That payment frees up about $1 million per year for the next four years to pay firefighters.

They're also using $320,000 of savings from the recent Rosewood Lakes Golf Course operational agreement and $520,800 in fire department efficiencies to save firefighter positions. "We're always looking at ways to be more efficient and save dollars so that we can save some of those jobs," Clinger said.

The fire department is also working with the unions and the city to save even more jobs. "I'm pleased that we're able to save 15 jobs and I can tell you that we are currently working on a plan to probably alleviate additional positions, but that's a work in progress," Reno Fire Chief Michael Hernandez said.

Station 10, on North Virginia Street will still close, along with two other previously browned out stations. The fire department will be able to re-open them when necessary. "Our fundamental message to the community is that we're still protecting them," Hernandez said. "We'll be there in a timely manner. We'll be there with well-trained, well-equipped personnel."

Reno's budget is $352 million and things are improving in other areas. The city's reserve level for Fiscal Year 15 will be more than 7% for the first time since 2008. "We need those reserves there, just to maintain a positive cash flow throughout the year," Clinger said.

Clinger says other areas of the budget are stable and the only reason for the fire department cuts is because of the lack of federal grant money. The city even has some job openings that he says could be filled by some of the affected firefighters.

Written by Paul Nelson


  • Today's Top StoriesMore>>

  • Congress Sends VA Overhaul to White House

    Congress Sends VA Overhaul to White House

    Thursday, July 31 2014 9:04 PM EDT2014-08-01 01:04:29 GMT
    Congress has passed a landmark bill to help veterans avoid long waits for health care and fix other problems at the Department of Veterans Affairs.More >>
    Congress has passed a landmark bill to help veterans avoid long waits for health care and fix other problems at the Department of Veterans Affairs.More >>
  • Tesla Prepares Site Near Reno, But Still Evaluating Other Factory Locations

    Tesla Prepares Site Near Reno, But Still Evaluating Other Factory Locations

    Thursday, July 31 2014 9:01 PM EDT2014-08-01 01:01:03 GMT
    Electric car maker Tesla Motors says it is preparing a site near Reno, as a possible location for its new battery factory, but is still evaluating other locations. In a statement, Tesla says it broke ground on the site in June, and adds that it will decide on the final location for the $5 billion factory in the next few months.More >>
    Electric car maker Tesla Motors says it is preparing a site near Reno, as a possible location for its new battery factory, but is still evaluating other locations. In a statement, Tesla says it broke ground on the site in June, and adds that it will decide on the final location for the $5 billion factory in the next few months.More >>
  • Attorney: Board Asks Martinez to Return; WCSD Statement

    Attorney: Board Asks Martinez to Return; WCSD Statement

    Thursday, July 31 2014 8:15 PM EDT2014-08-01 00:15:17 GMT
    Channel 2 News has learned that the attorney for the Washoe County School District Trustees has sent a letter to ousted superintendent Pedro Martinez’s attorney asking him to return to work immediately. Board President Barbara Clark then sent out a statement.More >>
    Channel 2 News has learned that the attorney for the Washoe County School District Trustees has sent a letter to ousted superintendent Pedro Martinez’s attorney asking him to return to work immediately. Board President Barbara Clark then sent out a statement.
    More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.