Boston Police Investigate 2 Backpacks; Solemn Anniversary Tribut - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

Boston Police Investigate 2 Backpacks; Solemn Anniversary Tributes Held

Posted: Updated:
Courtesy: CBS Boston Courtesy: CBS Boston

Police say they've taken a man into custody in connection with two unattended backpacks found at the Boston Marathon finish line.

Police spokesman Dave Estrada says the backpacks were discovered Tuesday evening, a year after two bombs in backpacks exploded at the end of the marathon and killed three people.

Meanwhile, a moment of silence was held at 11:49am (local time) Tuesday to mark the moment the two bombs exploded last year.

Vice President Joe Biden, Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick and former Mayor Tom Menino are among those who spoke at the invitation-only event at the Hynes Convention Center.

"Those of you, and many of you have gone through your own sorrows, know that the anniversary that is, "celebrated and paid tribute," it brings every memory back and is such sharp relief, that in a sense you almost would rather have it not happen," said Biden.

Several survivors are also sharing their thoughts. "While many of us here struggled to heal within those hospital walls, a movement coalesced throughout our city, state and country. Boston Strong, a simple phrase with a not-so-simple meaning, became our uniting call. It symbolizes our communal determination to spread compassion, generosity, unity and pride," said Patrick Downes.

President Obama and his aides held the remembrance privately Tuesday afternoon at the White House.

In a written statement, Obama praised the courage and leadership of Bostonians in the wake of tragedy. He said those injured have been awe-inspiring in their recovery.
 
Obama says this year's race, scheduled for Monday, will, in his words, "show the world the meaning of Boston Strong as a city chooses to run again."
 
Boston police Commissioner Williams Evans says the anniversary is an emotional day and brings back "some terrible memories."

Authorities say two brothers planned and orchestrated the attack and later shot and killed a Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer during an attempt to steal his gun. Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, died following a shootout with police several days after the bombings. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 20, has pleaded not guilty to 30 federal charges and is awaiting trial. He faces the possibility of the death penalty.

The Tsarnaevs, ethnic Chechens who lived in the former Soviet republic of Kyrgyzstan and the Dagestan region of Russia, settled in Cambridge, outside Boston, more than a decade ago after moving to the U.S. as children with their family.

Prosecutors have said Dzhokhar Tsarnaev left a hand-scrawled confession condemning U.S. actions in Muslim countries on the inside wall of a boat he was found hiding in following the police shootout.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press.)

  • Today's Top StoriesMore>>

  • Pedro Martinez will Return to Work Friday

    Pedro Martinez will Return to Work Friday

    Thursday, July 31 2014 9:50 PM EDT2014-08-01 01:50:16 GMT
    Pedro Martinez tells Channel 2 News that he will return to work Friday as the Superintendent of the Washoe County School District. More >>
    Pedro Martinez tells Channel 2 News that he will return to work Friday as the Superintendent of the Washoe County School District. More >>
  • Congress Sends VA Overhaul to White House

    Congress Sends VA Overhaul to White House

    Thursday, July 31 2014 9:04 PM EDT2014-08-01 01:04:29 GMT
    Congress has passed a landmark bill to help veterans avoid long waits for health care and fix other problems at the Department of Veterans Affairs.More >>
    Congress has passed a landmark bill to help veterans avoid long waits for health care and fix other problems at the Department of Veterans Affairs.More >>
  • Tesla Prepares Site Near Reno, But Still Evaluating Other Factory Locations

    Tesla Prepares Site Near Reno, But Still Evaluating Other Factory Locations

    Thursday, July 31 2014 9:01 PM EDT2014-08-01 01:01:03 GMT
    Electric car maker Tesla Motors says it is preparing a site near Reno, as a possible location for its new battery factory, but is still evaluating other locations. In a statement, Tesla says it broke ground on the site in June, and adds that it will decide on the final location for the $5 billion factory in the next few months.More >>
    Electric car maker Tesla Motors says it is preparing a site near Reno, as a possible location for its new battery factory, but is still evaluating other locations. In a statement, Tesla says it broke ground on the site in June, and adds that it will decide on the final location for the $5 billion factory in the next few months.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.