Army Says Alleged Shooter Saw No Combat in Iraq - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

Army Says Alleged Shooter Saw No Combat in Iraq

Posted: Updated:

The Army's top civilian official says the soldier accused in the Fort Hood shooting this week was deployed for the final months of the Iraq war but did not see combat.
 
Three people died and 16 were wounded before the shooter committed suicide.
 
Army Secretary John McHugh testified Thursday that the soldier appeared to have no connections to extremist groups.
 
The soldier is identified by others as Ivan Lopez. He enlisted in the Army in June 2008 as an infantryman and later switched his specialty to truck driver, the job he had in Iraq.
 
McHugh says the soldier was examined by a psychiatrist last month and was found to show no violent or suicidal tendencies. He says the soldier had been prescribed Ambien to deal with a sleeping problem.

A spokesman for Scott & White Memorial Hospital in Temple says three patients are critical and six are serious. Deke Jones says eight males and one female were admitted following yesterday's gunfire.
 
Fort Hood officials did not immediately provide details on the other seven people who were shot or otherwise hurt during the rampage blamed on an Iraq War veteran being treated for mental illness.
 
Fort Hood chaplains have set up family counseling centers. The Red Cross opened a shelter at the Killeen Community Center in the hours after the attack but nobody spent the night and the shelter has now closed.   (AP) 

Nevada Senator Harry Reid spoke on the Senate floor regarding the tragic shooting at Fort Hood, Texas.  Below are his remarks as prepared for delivery:

Last night the nation looked on in horror as news outlets reported the violent shooting at Fort Hood.  While we don't know much about the details or the motive this morning, we are heartbroken by this tragedy in Texas.  Our nation mourns every casualty that befalls one of our brave service-members. 

Fort Hood has seen more than its fair share of tragedy over the last five years.  We know this community of warriors and their families are grieving and questioning this latest act of senseless violence. As the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Martin Dempsey, put it, and I quote: "This is a community that has faced and overcome crises with resilience and strength."

Today we stand with the people of the Fort Hood community as their strength and resilience are drawn upon once again.  Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families, as well as the brave first-responders who helped bring the nightmare to an end.

  • Today's Top StoriesMore>>

  • Suspect Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting Identified

    Suspect Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting Identified

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 9:19 PM EDT2014-09-03 01:19:35 GMT
    The Washoe County Medical Examiner's Office has identified 42-year-old Royal Shawn Bingamen, from Idaho, as the armed robbery suspect who was killed in a shootout with Reno police Sunday night.More >>
    The Washoe County Medical Examiner's Office has identified 42-year-old Royal Shawn Bingamen, from Idaho, as the armed robbery suspect who was killed in a shootout with Reno police Sunday night.More >>
  • State Attorney General Files suit against the Washoe School Trustees

    State Attorney General Files suit against the Washoe School Trustees

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 7:08 PM EDT2014-09-02 23:08:29 GMT
    The list of legal problems for the Washoe School District grew this morning as the State Attorney General's Office filed six counts each against the six trustees involved in the Pedro Martinez suit. But The School Board's outside counsel says he began working on settlement in that matter since last Wednesday and able to file it immediately. The suit alleges the trustees made six different violations to the State Open Meeting Law and that they should be paying $500 per violation. Those violati...More >>
    The list of legal problems for the Washoe School District grew this morning as the State Attorney General's Office filed six counts each against the six trustees involved in the Pedro Martinez suit. But The School Board's outside counsel says he began working on settlement in that matter since last Wednesday and able to file it immediately. The suit alleges the trustees made six different violations to the State Open Meeting Law and that they should be paying $500 per violation. Those violati...More >>
  • Paleo Program to Lose Weight

    Paleo Program to Lose Weight

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 7:03 PM EDT2014-09-02 23:03:32 GMT
    The paleo lifestyle might be the right thing for you to lose weight.  At least a local doctor's office thinks so.More >>
    The paleo lifestyle might be the right thing for you to lose weight.  At least a local doctor's office thinks so.
    More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.