South Lake Tahoe to Continue Fireworks, Settlement Reached - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

South Lake Tahoe to Continue Fireworks, Settlement Reached

Posted: Updated:

The Zephyr Cove couple who filed a lawsuit against the Lake Tahoe Visitors Authority and Pyro Spectaculars North (of California) say they have reached a settlement, allowing the fireworks shows to continue.

The settlement includes increased local agency oversight of the post-show cleanup of fireworks debris and a hot-line for residents to contact if they see fireworks debris from the shows that needs to be cleaned up.

The LTVA said they would put an end to the Fourth of July fireworks if the lawsuit was not settled by Friday.

The lawsuit was filed last year by Joe and Joan Truxler who claimed spent fireworks were polluting Lake Tahoe. Specifically, they claim the defendants violated the Clean Water Act due to not getting a special permit for the fireworks.

The LTVA says the lawsuit could have meant up to $70-million in penalties along with lawyer fees. They say that was an amount they could not risk.

  • Today's Top StoriesMore>>

  • Pedro Martinez will Return to Work Friday

    Pedro Martinez will Return to Work Friday

    Thursday, July 31 2014 9:50 PM EDT2014-08-01 01:50:16 GMT
    Pedro Martinez tells Channel 2 News that he will return to work Friday as the Superintendent of the Washoe County School District. More >>
    Pedro Martinez tells Channel 2 News that he will return to work Friday as the Superintendent of the Washoe County School District. More >>
  • Congress Sends VA Overhaul to White House

    Congress Sends VA Overhaul to White House

    Thursday, July 31 2014 9:04 PM EDT2014-08-01 01:04:29 GMT
    Congress has passed a landmark bill to help veterans avoid long waits for health care and fix other problems at the Department of Veterans Affairs.More >>
    Congress has passed a landmark bill to help veterans avoid long waits for health care and fix other problems at the Department of Veterans Affairs.More >>
  • Tesla Prepares Site Near Reno, But Still Evaluating Other Factory Locations

    Tesla Prepares Site Near Reno, But Still Evaluating Other Factory Locations

    Thursday, July 31 2014 9:01 PM EDT2014-08-01 01:01:03 GMT
    Electric car maker Tesla Motors says it is preparing a site near Reno, as a possible location for its new battery factory, but is still evaluating other locations. In a statement, Tesla says it broke ground on the site in June, and adds that it will decide on the final location for the $5 billion factory in the next few months.More >>
    Electric car maker Tesla Motors says it is preparing a site near Reno, as a possible location for its new battery factory, but is still evaluating other locations. In a statement, Tesla says it broke ground on the site in June, and adds that it will decide on the final location for the $5 billion factory in the next few months.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.