Pentagon Spends $2.5 Million in Flight 370 Search - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe Sparks News, Weather, Video

Pentagon Spends $2.5 Million in Flight 370 Search

Posted: Updated:

The Pentagon says it has spent $2.5 million to help in the search for the missing Malaysian Airlines jet.
 
The Defense Department has been flying high-tech surveillance planes to assist in the effort. The spending also includes operating costs for ships that have assisted in the search, which has stretched across the South China Sea and into the Indian Ocean.
 
A Navy P-8 Poseidon plane has been searching the Indian Ocean region where satellite imagery showed objects that may be from the plane.  A P-3 Orion didn't fly Friday but is expected to rejoin the search Saturday.
 
A Pentagon spokesman says $4 million has been budgeted, and that amount could last into early April depending on the number of flying hours and whether other equipment is needed.

Meanwhile, Australia's acting prime minister says nothing of significance has been spotted so far by search planes flying deep into the southern Indian Ocean looking for possible debris from the missing jet.

Warren Truss, who is acting prime minister while Tony Abbott is in Papua New Guinea, told reporters that "nothing of particular significance" had been identified in Friday's search.

Five planes were sent to look for objects that may be from the missing Malaysian jet, and an Australian official said the hunt would be extended for another day.

The search is part of an international effort to solve the nearly 2-week-old mystery of what happened to the jet, which disappeared with 239 people aboard. (AP)

  • NewsMore>>

  • LCSO Looking For Missing Teen In East Fernley

    LCSO Looking For Missing Teen In East Fernley

    Saturday, May 26 2018 2:10 AM EDT2018-05-26 06:10:32 GMT
    Courtesy of Lyon County Sheriff's OfficeCourtesy of Lyon County Sheriff's Office
    Courtesy of Lyon County Sheriff's OfficeCourtesy of Lyon County Sheriff's Office

    The Lyon County Sheriff's Office reports that they are looking for a missing teen in East Fernley tonight. Eric Char, 16, disappeared around 1:45 p.m. on Thursday. He is an Asian male, is approximately 5'9" tall and weighs around 120 lbs. He has brown eyes and black hair. He was last seen wearing a black shirt, black shorts and a dark backpack.

    More >>

    The Lyon County Sheriff's Office reports that they are looking for a missing teen in East Fernley tonight. Eric Char, 16, disappeared around 1:45 p.m. on Thursday. He is an Asian male, is approximately 5'9" tall and weighs around 120 lbs. He has brown eyes and black hair. He was last seen wearing a black shirt, black shorts and a dark backpack.

    More >>
  • Aces Lose Series Opener to Salt Lake

    Aces Lose Series Opener to Salt Lake

    Saturday, May 26 2018 1:44 AM EDT2018-05-26 05:44:27 GMT

    The Aces road trip to Salt Lake City, Utah got off to a rocky start, falling 9 to 6 on Friday night. The Aces out-hit Salt Lake 12-11, but could not overcome a four-run fifth inning. Bradin Hagens got the start tonight for Reno and tossed 4.2 innings allowing eight runs on seven hits. 

    More >>

    The Aces road trip to Salt Lake City, Utah got off to a rocky start, falling 9 to 6 on Friday night. The Aces out-hit Salt Lake 12-11, but could not overcome a four-run fifth inning. Bradin Hagens got the start tonight for Reno and tossed 4.2 innings allowing eight runs on seven hits. 

    More >>
  • Suspect In Custody After Hours-Long Standoff At Marracco Drive In Sparks

    Suspect In Custody After Hours-Long Standoff At Marracco Drive In Sparks

    Saturday, May 26 2018 1:41 AM EDT2018-05-26 05:41:57 GMT

    The Sparks Police Department reports that a man is in custody after an hours-long standoff at a residence on Marracco Drive and East Prater Way. The suspect had multiple warrants for drug related convictions and one for assault with a deadly weapon.

    More >>

    The Sparks Police Department reports that a man is in custody after an hours-long standoff at a residence on Marracco Drive and East Prater Way. The suspect had multiple warrants for drug related convictions and one for assault with a deadly weapon.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.