Cleanup Begins After Fire At Pyramid Way Commercial Property - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

Cleanup Begins After Fire At Pyramid Way Commercial Property

Posted: Updated:
Firefighters say a fire that broke out in a commercial property in Sparks late Tuesday night likely started in the attic of the structure.

The fire was first reported around 10:30 p.m. inside the property on Pyramid Way, near York Way. Dr. Troy Savant's (D.D.S.) office was one of the several that were damaged in the fire. He was called by a police dispatcher whose son is a patient. 

"I wasn't comprehending what she was telling me because she told me I had a fire," he said. "I didn't really have a fire alarm service monitoring the building. So, I was a little confused at the time."

Savant says he remembers seeing and smelling the smoke when he was coming from his home.

"I was hoping that was fireplaces burning and not the building, but as I got closer, it was stronger. I could see the smoke in the air, and the building was burning."

Thankfully, no one was injured, but it destroyed Dr. Savant's neighbor, Aesthetic Restoration Dental Laboratory.

"Where the fire occured is really bad," said Frank Rosa, an estimator with Sierra Construction and Development. "Roof collapse, I mean that's a total loss there."

"Jesse lost everything in that fire, in that office, and then the medical office next to him," Savant said. "So, there were a few people who were a lot less fortunate than me."

Meanwhile, Savant's office and a few others received smoke and water damage.

"In my office, it's not horrible," Savant said. "There was a lot of smoke. It was a little tough to see everything real well."

Rosa says because of the way the structure was built, the damage was widespread.

"It's just like a tunnel in the roof area, and the smoke gone down, and all the air conditioning heaters that were going on helped suck some of that smoke in," he said. "So, a lot of smoke damage mainly to other offices."

Crews spent the day cleaning up the damage.

"They're trying to get all the soot and stuff that they can out of offices," Rosa said. "The next step is to seal that smoke smell."

Several businesses were closed Wednesday and had signs on their door that explained what happened.

"I don't know if we'll be able to work here again," Dr. Savant said.

Since then, the dental community has reached out to Dr. Savant and others.

"Phone call after phone call of doctors offering their space for me to come in and work, see patients. It's been pretty humbling," he said.

One of those calls came from Dr. Alan Topham's (D.D.S.) office on Lakeside Drive in Reno. When Dr. Topham found out the news, he says he knew he had to help.

"I've got a big office here, and I'm not using all the space," he said. "I said, 'hey, go and let those guys know over there that we've got a space for them if they need to get their feet on the ground while their practice is being rebuilt.'"

Dr. Topham says he's never met Savant, but he's still part of a family.

"We're dental brothers, right? We all kind of go through the same grilling in dental school. He went on and did even more. Those oral surgeons are the real deal. They're really smart and good at what they do."

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.