Space Heater Causes Structure Fire - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe Sparks News, Weather, Video

Space Heater Causes Structure Fire

Posted: Updated:

The Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District Reports that an unattended space heater caused a structure fire early on Saturday, December 28th.

TMFPD officials say they were called to a fire from a residence on Corsica Court in a Mount Rose subdivision at around 5:30 a.m. after a passerby noticed flames and smoke.

The residents of the home were unaware of a fire until firefighters arrived, and found their garage ablaze. Crews suppressed the fire and confined it to the garage. The remainder of the house was not damaged by the smoke.

One of the house's residents received a minor hand burn and had to be treated for smoke inhalation. One family pet died in the fire.

Investigators say the fire was caused by blankets and bedding being left too close to a space heater, which was heating the garage to keep the family pets warm.

TMFPD wants to remind you that it is very important to never leave space heaters unattended, as they often fall over and can easily catch nearby objects on fire.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.