Fire Officials Warn Your Tree Could Be a Safety Hazard - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

Fire Officials Warn Your Tree Could Be a Safety Hazard

Posted: Updated:

Christmas trees are a beautiful decoration in the house during the holidays, but that festive looking tree can become a serious safety hazard in a hurry.

Amy Ray, fire marshal with the Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District, said there have been several electrical home fires lately, due mainly to Christmas lights.

That's why Ray is warning everybody to take extra precaution before putting up Christmas decorations in and outside your home.

"You want to be sure if you have multiple strands, plug them into a surge protector, before they go into your home outlet so you reduce the availability for it to start a fire electrically within a wall."

The wires could overheat if you overload the outlets, so make sure you have one plug for each outlet or it can get dangerous.

Your lights need to be in working order.

When it comes to Christmas trees, Ray said to make sure your tree is at least three feet away from heat sources, like fireplaces, heat vents and space heaters.

Use lights designed for indoor use and replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords.

Written by Chris Ciarlo

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.