'Suspicious Package' at Reed High was Student's Belongings - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe Sparks News, Weather, Video

'Suspicious Package' at Reed High was Student's Belongings

Posted: Updated:

Washoe County School authorities say a precautionary lockdown has been lifted at Reed High School.

Authorities tell us a "suspicious package" they were investigating turned out to be a student's belongings.

Classes have resumed have normal.  

Meanwhile, students at Spanish Springs High School were sent home Friday morning after a fire sprinkler was damaged in a hallway.
 
According to the Washoe County School District, the sprinkler went off after coming apart near a vending machine, setting off the pressure sprinkler system and caused a loud noise. As a result, water soaked the floors of the school so students were sent home for the day. Parent pickup is located at Shaw Middle School.

Cleanup will continue at Spanish Springs High School over the weekend, but games and other events will take place as scheduled tonight and tomorrow. Classes will resume on Monday morning.

Authorities say they are talking to students to get more information on what happened. They say right now they're not sure if the sprinkler came off accidentally or it if was deliberately taken apart. Washoe County School District is investigating.
 
Meanwhile, authorities say smoke from a faulty motor in a heating and air-conditioning unit briefly stopped classes at Bishop Manogue High School.

School authorities say a teacher smelled smoke inside a classroom and pulled the fire alarm around 7:30am. Students were then evacuated to the football field.
 
Firefighters say they never saw any flames coming from the unit. Once the fire was contained, students were allowed back in class around 9am.

  • NewsMore>>

  • Animal Shelter to Stop Labeling Dog Breeds

    Animal Shelter to Stop Labeling Dog Breeds

    Saturday, July 22 2017 2:51 AM EDT2017-07-22 06:51:14 GMT

    The  Humane Society of Truckee-Tahoe is encouraging adopters to not judge a book by its cover, or in this case, judge a pup by its spots. For about a month now, the shelter has removed all breed labels from its description of adoptable dogs. 

    More >>

    The  Humane Society of Truckee-Tahoe is encouraging adopters to not judge a book by its cover, or in this case, judge a pup by its spots. For about a month now, the shelter has removed all breed labels from its description of adoptable dogs. 

    More >>
  • Brush Fire in Sparks Spreads to Nearby Apartments

    Brush Fire in Sparks Spreads to Nearby Apartments

    Saturday, July 22 2017 1:28 AM EDT2017-07-22 05:28:33 GMT

    A brush fire that broke out in the 1900 block of C Street in Sparks quickly spread to a nearby apartment complex.

    More >>

    A brush fire that broke out in the 1900 block of C Street in Sparks quickly spread to a nearby apartment complex.

    More >>
  • Brush Fire Threatens North Reno Homes and Businesses

    Brush Fire Threatens North Reno Homes and Businesses

    Saturday, July 22 2017 1:26 AM EDT2017-07-22 05:26:18 GMT
    Courtesy: Laurie AmesCourtesy: Laurie Ames

    A brush fire threatened several homes and businesses in north Reno before firefighters were able to put it out.

    More >>

    A brush fire threatened several homes and businesses in north Reno before firefighters were able to put it out.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.