SSHS: Fire Sprinkler Damage; Bishop Manogue Heating Unit Issue - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe Sparks News, Weather, Video

SSHS: Fire Sprinkler Damage; Bishop Manogue Heating Unit Issue

Posted: Updated:

Students at Spanish Springs High School were sent home Friday morning after a fire sprinkler was damaged in a hallway.

According to the Washoe County School District, the sprinkler went off after coming apart near a vending machine, setting off the pressure sprinkler system and caused a loud noise. As a result, water soaked the floors of the school so students were sent home for the day. Parent pickup is located at Shaw Middle School.

Cleanup will continue at Spanish Springs High School over the weekend, but games and other events will take place as scheduled tonight and tomorrow. Classes will resume on Monday morning.

Authorities say they are talking to students to get more information on what happened. They say right now they're not sure if the sprinkler came off accidentally or it if was deliberately taken apart. Washoe County School District is investigating.

Meanwhile, authorities say smoke from a faulty motor in a heating and air-conditioning unit briefly stopped classes at Bishop Manogue High School.

School authorities say a teacher smelled smoke inside a classroom and pulled the fire alarm around 7:30am. Students were then evacuated to the football field.

Firefighters say they never saw any flames coming from the unit. Once the fire was contained, students were allowed back in class around 9am.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.