President Obama Seeks to Convince Americans on Syria Attack - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

President Obama Seeks to Convince Americans on Syria Attack

Posted: Updated:

He's headed back home from the G-20 summit in Russia, but President Barack Obama will have little time to rest up from his overseas trip. He's planning an address to the American people Tuesday night, in which he'll try to get support for a U.S. military strike on Syria in response to a chemical weapons attack last month.
 
Obama conceded today that he might not convince a majority of Americans that a military strike is the right move. But he says it's still up to members of Congress to decide. He's not saying whether he'd go ahead with an attack if Congress votes no.
 
A spokesman for House Speaker John Boehner says Obama is going to have to make a convincing case Tuesday night.
 
Surveys have shown a significant number of House Republicans and Democrats opposed to military action or leaning against it -- but officials in the leadership say it's premature to say the resolution can't be approved. At this stage, just a third of the House and Senate members have been given classified briefings.
 
Meanwhile, the U.S. envoy to the United Nations says Syrian President Bashar Assad "has barely put a dent in his enormous stockpile" of chemical weapons that American officials believe killed more than 1,400 people outside Damascus last month.
 
Ambassador Samantha Power says the world has done very little to curb Assad's willingness to use the deadly nerve agents again.
 
Power also said Friday the United States has exhausted all alternatives short using of military force to deter Assad from using chemical weapons on his own people in the future.
 
Power was speaking at the liberal-leaning Center for American Progress think-tank in Washington.

She again accused Russia of blocking a U.N. Security Council vote to take action in Syria.

And - House members who are willing to give their positions are either opposed to or leaning against President Barack Obama's plan for a U.S. military strike against Syria by nearly a 6-to-1 margin. That's the finding of a survey by The Associated Press. The Senate is more evenly divided.
 
Despite the indications that Obama faces an uphill fight in votes as early as next week, the situation is very fluid. About half of the 433-member House and a third of the 100-member Senate remain undecided. 
 
By their own statements or those of their aides, only 31 members of the Republican-led House support intervention or are leaning in favor of authorizing force. Some 185 House members outright oppose U.S. military involvement or are leaning against it.

Secretary of State John Kerry is in Europe courting international support for a possible U.S. strike on the Syrian regime for its alleged use of chemical weapons. 
 
Kerry, the Obama administration's chief salesman for a U.S. punitive strike, landed late Friday in Vilnius, Lithuania, and will meet Saturday with European officials about the Syrian crisis and update them on ongoing peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians. 
 
President Barack Obama decided last weekend to postpone any military action and seek the backing of Congress. 
 
But a vote on Capitol Hill to authorize a strike is not certain, and Kerry is using his European trip to shore up international backing. 
 
He also plans to meet with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Sunday in London.  (AP)

  • Today's Top StoriesMore>>

  • Reno Police, FBI Investigate String of Fake Ransom Calls

    Reno Police, FBI Investigate String of Fake Ransom Calls

    Wednesday, September 3 2014 2:51 AM EDT2014-09-03 06:51:12 GMT
    Reno Police are working with the FBI on an investigation into a string of fake ransom calls Tuesday morning.More >>
    Reno Police are working with the FBI on an investigation into a string of fake ransom calls Tuesday morning.More >>
  • Suspect Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting Identified

    Suspect Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting Identified

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 9:19 PM EDT2014-09-03 01:19:35 GMT
    The Washoe County Medical Examiner's Office has identified 42-year-old Royal Shawn Bingamen, from Idaho, as the armed robbery suspect who was killed in a shootout with Reno police Sunday night.More >>
    The Washoe County Medical Examiner's Office has identified 42-year-old Royal Shawn Bingamen, from Idaho, as the armed robbery suspect who was killed in a shootout with Reno police Sunday night.More >>
  • State Attorney General Files suit against the Washoe School Trustees

    State Attorney General Files suit against the Washoe School Trustees

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 7:08 PM EDT2014-09-02 23:08:29 GMT
    The list of legal problems for the Washoe School District grew this morning as the State Attorney General's Office filed six counts each against the six trustees involved in the Pedro Martinez suit. But The School Board's outside counsel says he began working on settlement in that matter since last Wednesday and able to file it immediately. The suit alleges the trustees made six different violations to the State Open Meeting Law and that they should be paying $500 per violation. Those violati...More >>
    The list of legal problems for the Washoe School District grew this morning as the State Attorney General's Office filed six counts each against the six trustees involved in the Pedro Martinez suit. But The School Board's outside counsel says he began working on settlement in that matter since last Wednesday and able to file it immediately. The suit alleges the trustees made six different violations to the State Open Meeting Law and that they should be paying $500 per violation. Those violati...More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.