Grand Jury Indicts Friend of Marathon Bombing Suspect - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

Grand Jury Indicts Friend of Marathon Bombing Suspect

Posted: Updated:

BOSTON (AP) -- Lawyers for a friend of the surviving Boston Marathon bombing suspect say their client will continue to fight allegations against him following an indictment.
 
Robel Phillipos was indicted Thursday on two counts of lying to authorities investigating the April 15 attack.
 
The 19-year-old previously agreed to home confinement as a condition of his release on $100,000 bond after his May arrest. He's now facing up to 16 years in prison.
 
Authorities allege Phillipos lied about being with two other friends of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's who went into his dorm room on April 18 and took his backpack.
 
But Phillipos' lawyers say he had nothing to do with taking the backpack and that "in time, it will be clear that this prosecution should not have been brought in the first place."

  • Today's Top StoriesMore>>

  • Reno Police, FBI Investigate String of Fake Ransom Calls

    Reno Police, FBI Investigate String of Fake Ransom Calls

    Wednesday, September 3 2014 2:51 AM EDT2014-09-03 06:51:12 GMT
    Reno Police are working with the FBI on an investigation into a string of fake ransom calls Tuesday morning.More >>
    Reno Police are working with the FBI on an investigation into a string of fake ransom calls Tuesday morning.More >>
  • Suspect Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting Identified

    Suspect Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting Identified

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 9:19 PM EDT2014-09-03 01:19:35 GMT
    The Washoe County Medical Examiner's Office has identified 42-year-old Royal Shawn Bingamen, from Idaho, as the armed robbery suspect who was killed in a shootout with Reno police Sunday night.More >>
    The Washoe County Medical Examiner's Office has identified 42-year-old Royal Shawn Bingamen, from Idaho, as the armed robbery suspect who was killed in a shootout with Reno police Sunday night.More >>
  • State Attorney General Files suit against the Washoe School Trustees

    State Attorney General Files suit against the Washoe School Trustees

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 7:08 PM EDT2014-09-02 23:08:29 GMT
    The list of legal problems for the Washoe School District grew this morning as the State Attorney General's Office filed six counts each against the six trustees involved in the Pedro Martinez suit. But The School Board's outside counsel says he began working on settlement in that matter since last Wednesday and able to file it immediately. The suit alleges the trustees made six different violations to the State Open Meeting Law and that they should be paying $500 per violation. Those violati...More >>
    The list of legal problems for the Washoe School District grew this morning as the State Attorney General's Office filed six counts each against the six trustees involved in the Pedro Martinez suit. But The School Board's outside counsel says he began working on settlement in that matter since last Wednesday and able to file it immediately. The suit alleges the trustees made six different violations to the State Open Meeting Law and that they should be paying $500 per violation. Those violati...More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.