Ariel Castro Pleads Guilty in Ohio Kidnap Case - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

Ariel Castro Pleads Guilty in Ohio Kidnap Case

Posted: Updated:
Courtesy: YouTube Courtesy: YouTube

A Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for about a decade has pleaded guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty.
 
Ariel Castro entered the plea Friday. In exchange, prosecutors are recommending the 53-year-old Castro be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.
 
Castro says a pornography addiction and "sexual problem" have taken a toll on his mind. He also says he was sexually abused as a child.
 
He had been charged in a 977-count indictment. He is pleading guilty to 937 counts.
 
He had been scheduled for trial Aug. 5 on allegations that include repeatedly restraining the women and punching and starving one woman until she had a miscarriage.
 
The women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004. They escaped from Castro's house May 6. 

Meanwhile, Assistant Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Blaise Thomas says his office will ask a judge at Castro's sentencing next week to impose a standard no-contact order on Castro. His daughter was born Christmas Day 2006 in the house where Castro held her mother and two other women captive for a decade.
 
Chief Prosecutor Tim McGinty says the county will use over $20,000 seized from Castro to tear down the house within a month. 
 
McGinty says the plan is to tear down two abandoned houses next door and a build a park. 
 
McGinty rejected attempts by Castro to portray himself as a victim of a sex addiction, calling him a coward. (AP)

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.