Child Becomes 3rd Casualty of Asiana Plane Crash - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe Sparks News, Weather, Video

Child Becomes 3rd Casualty of Asiana Plane Crash

Posted: Updated:

Hospital officials say a girl on the Asiana Airlines flight has died from her injuries, becoming the third casualty of the crash in San Francisco.
Dr. Margaret Knudson, San Francisco General Hospital's chief of surgery, said the child died Friday of her injuries.
The girl had been in critical condition since arriving at the hospital Saturday after the plane crashed, killing two others and leaving others in critical condition.
Officials did not identify the girl at the request of her parents. Her age also was withheld.

San Francisco fire officials say one of two Chinese girls killed in the Asiana plane crash was already dead when airport staff found her.
Fire spokesman Mindy Talmadge said on Friday that the girl, identified as 16-year-old Wang Linjia, was found along with three flight attendants near a runway seawall. Linjia was not the girl that police said was run over by a truck.
The National Transportation Safety Board says three flight attendants were flung from the back of the plane when it broke open. The attendants survived.
Linjia's friend, 16-year-old Ye Meng Yuan, was hit by the truck while covered in firefighting foam. It is not clear whether she was already dead when the collision occurred or whether the truck killed her moments after Saturday's crash.
Asiana Flight 214 collided with a rocky seawall just short of its intended airport runway on Saturday. Two people were killed and dozens of others injured although most suffered minor injuries.
Investigators have said the plane came in too low and slow.

Meanwhile, heat and friction generated while crews were cutting the fuselage of Asiana Flight 214 might be to blame for smoke seen from the wreckage.
KGO-TV cameras captured smoke billowing from the site overnight Friday. The news station says the wreckage began smoking moments after crews used a sling to lift the fuselage.
San Francisco International Airport spokesman Doug Yakel says the fuselage was cut into two pieces to make it easier to transport. He says fire trucks at the scene doused the smoke before it turned into a fire.
Much of the wreckage has now been removed from the site.
Yakel says the goal is to reopen the runway late Sunday.  (AP)  

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.