Nevada Gets $3.4 Million in Federal Homeland Security Funding - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe Sparks News, Weather, Video

Nevada Gets $3.4 Million in Federal Homeland Security Funding

From the Nevada Department of Public Safety:

The State of Nevada Department of Public Safety – Division of Emergency Management and Homeland Security (NDEM) announced today the State has received a United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) grant award in the amount of $ 3,459,364, an increase over last year's award total by approximately $700,000.  

"I am pleased Nevada has been awarded this grant, with an increase," Governor Brian Sandoval said. "I thank Secretary Napolitano for her work and I thank NDEM for facilitating work around the state to ensure that these funds are applied to areas of importance that Nevada public safety officials deem critical."

The additional funding is currently targeted towards ensuring the continuation of the Metropolitan Medical Response System and Citizen Corps programs. This week the Nevada Commission on Homeland Security, chaired by Governor Sandoval, will meet to determine how the funds will be allocated.

"Governor Sandoval worked diligently with Department of Homeland Security Secretary Napolitano to secure the additional funding to support DHS and State of Nevada priorities, and this is great news for the State of Nevada as we continue to work to achieve the National Preparedness Goal," NDEM Chief Chris Smith said. 

The Department of Homeland Security grant program enhances the ability of states, local, tribal and territorial jurisdictions, and other regional authorities in the preparation, prevention, and response to terrorist attacks and other disasters, by distributing grant funds. Localities can use grants for planning, equipment, training and exercise needs.  Historically, these funds are used to support initiatives like Citizen Corps, Community Emergency Response Teams, information sharing, public safety radio interoperability, public information and warning, and first responder trainings. 

From the Nevada Department of Public Safety

  • NewsMore>>

  • Reno 1868 FC Earns a Disappointing Draw with Portland

    Reno 1868 FC Earns a Disappointing Draw with Portland

    Sunday, July 23 2017 2:20 AM EDT2017-07-23 06:20:41 GMT
    Reno 1868 FC earned a much-needed point and remained unbeaten for the fifth-straight match after tying Portland Timbers 2 Saturday night. Reno tied 1-1 with Portland in front of 6,027 fans on a night filled with emotion. At halftime, Reno 1868 FC midfielder Matheus Silva returned to Greater Nevada Field for the first time since an accident at Lake Tahoe on July 4. Silva met with the heroes who helped pull him from the water and received a standing ovation from the Greater Neva...More >>
    Reno 1868 FC earned a much-needed point and remained unbeaten for the fifth-straight match after tying Portland Timbers 2 Saturday night. Reno tied 1-1 with Portland in front of 6,027 fans on a night filled with emotion. At halftime, Reno 1868 FC midfielder Matheus Silva returned to Greater Nevada Field for the first time since an accident at Lake Tahoe on July 4. Silva met with the heroes who helped pull him from the water and received a standing ovation from the Greater Neva...More >>
  • Negron Lifts Aces to Win Over Sky Sox

    Negron Lifts Aces to Win Over Sky Sox

    Sunday, July 23 2017 1:23 AM EDT2017-07-23 05:23:13 GMT

    The Reno Aces took the field on the road Saturday night marking their first victory at Security Service Field in game two of the series with 17 hits over the Colorado Springs Sky Sox. Trailing by two runs in the ninth, Reno rallied with six runs on six hits to take the final 12-8 lead. Kristopher Negrón was the hero on the night after he gave the Aces the advantage in the ninth with his bases loaded clearing double. 

    More >>

    The Reno Aces took the field on the road Saturday night marking their first victory at Security Service Field in game two of the series with 17 hits over the Colorado Springs Sky Sox. Trailing by two runs in the ninth, Reno rallied with six runs on six hits to take the final 12-8 lead. Kristopher Negrón was the hero on the night after he gave the Aces the advantage in the ninth with his bases loaded clearing double. 

    More >>
  • More Than 2,000 Without Power in Washoe County

    More Than 2,000 Without Power in Washoe County

    Sunday, July 23 2017 1:05 AM EDT2017-07-23 05:05:40 GMT

    NV Energy reports more than 2,000 customers are without power due to an equipment issue.

    More >>

    NV Energy reports more than 2,000 customers are without power due to an equipment issue.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.