Unattended Cooking Causes Reno Apartment Fire - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

Unattended Cooking Causes Reno Apartment Fire

Posted: Updated:
Courtesy: Reno Fire Department Courtesy: Reno Fire Department
Courtesy: Reno Fire Department Courtesy: Reno Fire Department
Courtesy: Reno Fire Department Courtesy: Reno Fire Department

From the Reno Fire Department:

Reno Fire Department investigators say today's structure fire in the 2000-block of Highview Court was started by unattended food being cooked.  

"The apartment was unoccupied at the time of the fire and thankfully nobody else was injured," advised Reno Fire Battalion Chief Steve Leighton. "Today's fire does serve as a good reminder to residents to never leave food unattended while cooking." 

The Reno Fire Department Chaplain and the American Red Cross are assisting with finding alternative living arrangements for the family (two adults and one child). Firefighters rescued the family's pet rabbit from the fire and administered oxygen. See attached photos.

The fire was reported at 3:23 p.m. this afternoon in a downstairs home in an eight-unit apartment complex. Fire investigators advise the fire started in the kitchen where unattended food was left cooking and the occupant had left the apartment. The downstairs apartment received heavy fire and smoke damage and the unit located upstairs received moderate smoke damage. 

Responding to the structure fire were four structure engines, one ladder truck, one air support unit, one safety officer, one fire investigator, the fire department chaplain, and one battalion chief.
 
According to the U.S. Fire Administration cooking is the leading cause of residential building fires.

From the Reno Fire Department

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.