Elevated Carbon Monoxide Levels Prompt Evacuation in Reno - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

Elevated Carbon Monoxide Levels Prompt Evacuation in Downtown Reno

Posted: Updated:
Courtesy: Adam Varahachaikol Courtesy: Adam Varahachaikol

The Reno Fire Department now knows what caused elevated levels of carbon monoxide at the El Cortez Hotel Saturday afternoon.

Several people at the hotel in Downtown Reno reported feeling sick around 3:30pm. Firefighters responded and found unhealthy levels of carbon monoxide. They evacuated the hotel and the businesses along the first floor.

Firefighters worked quickly to get everyone out as fast as possible.

"Wearing the gear that they do and hustling up and down the stairwells, getting people out of here, they did a great job getting them out in a hurry," said Battalion Chief Rik Kajans of the Reno Fire Department.

Twelve people had symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and were transported to the hospital.

Firefighters say a failure in the two water heaters at the El Cortez caused those elevated carbon monoxide levels. The people staying there have since been let back inside. But they won't have hot water until tomorrow at the earliest.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.