Russia Contacted U.S. Twice About Accused Boston Bomber - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

Russia Contacted U.S. Twice About Accused Boston Bomber

Posted: Updated:

Two U.S. officials briefed on the Boston marathon investigation say the Russian government contacted the FBI and the CIA separately in 2011 with concerns about Tamerlan Tsarnaev, one of the men authorities say was behind the attacks.
 
One of the officials says the CIA was contacted by Russia in the fall of 2011. Officials say Russia contacted the FBI in early 2011. 
 
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the ongoing investigation.
 
The FBI said its investigators found nothing to suggest Tsarnaev was part of an extremist group and shared that information back. 
 
Tsarnaev died in a police shootout.

U.S. officials say the Boston Marathon explosions that killed three people and wounded more than 260 were triggered by a remote-controlled detonator.
 
Two officials on Wednesday said the bombs were not very sophisticated. One of the officials described the detonator as "close-controlled" -- meaning it had to be triggered within several blocks of the bombs. 
 
Both U.S. officials are close to the ongoing investigation but spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss it publicly.
 
It was not immediately clear what the detonation device was. 
 
A criminal complaint outlining federal charges against the surviving bombing suspect, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, described him as holding a cellphone in his hand minutes before the first explosion. 
 
Cellphones have been used to trigger bombings in war zones.

Meanwhile, the suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings killed in a shootout with police received welfare benefits from the state up until last year, when he became ineligible based on family income.

A spokesman for the state Office of Health and Human Services on Wednesday confirmed a Boston Herald report that 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev, his wife and their toddler daughter had received benefits.

A lawyer for his wife, Katherine Russell Tsarnaeva, has said that she worked 70 to 80 hours per week as a home health aide while her husband cared for their daughter.

The state says both Tsarnaev and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev -- his brother and the other bombing suspect -- received welfare benefits as children through their parents while the family lived in Massachusetts.

Neither was receiving benefits at the time of the bombing. (AP)

  • Today's Top StoriesMore>>

  • Suspect Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting Identified

    Suspect Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting Identified

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 9:19 PM EDT2014-09-03 01:19:35 GMT
    The Washoe County Medical Examiner's Office has identified 42-year-old Royal Shawn Bingamen, from Idaho, as the armed robbery suspect who was killed in a shootout with Reno police Sunday night.More >>
    The Washoe County Medical Examiner's Office has identified 42-year-old Royal Shawn Bingamen, from Idaho, as the armed robbery suspect who was killed in a shootout with Reno police Sunday night.More >>
  • State Attorney General Files suit against the Washoe School Trustees

    State Attorney General Files suit against the Washoe School Trustees

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 7:08 PM EDT2014-09-02 23:08:29 GMT
    The list of legal problems for the Washoe School District grew this morning as the State Attorney General's Office filed six counts each against the six trustees involved in the Pedro Martinez suit. But The School Board's outside counsel says he began working on settlement in that matter since last Wednesday and able to file it immediately. The suit alleges the trustees made six different violations to the State Open Meeting Law and that they should be paying $500 per violation. Those violati...More >>
    The list of legal problems for the Washoe School District grew this morning as the State Attorney General's Office filed six counts each against the six trustees involved in the Pedro Martinez suit. But The School Board's outside counsel says he began working on settlement in that matter since last Wednesday and able to file it immediately. The suit alleges the trustees made six different violations to the State Open Meeting Law and that they should be paying $500 per violation. Those violati...More >>
  • Paleo Program to Lose Weight

    Paleo Program to Lose Weight

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 7:03 PM EDT2014-09-02 23:03:32 GMT
    The paleo lifestyle might be the right thing for you to lose weight.  At least a local doctor's office thinks so.More >>
    The paleo lifestyle might be the right thing for you to lose weight.  At least a local doctor's office thinks so.
    More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.