Private Funeral Held for Boy, 8, Killed by Marathon Bomb - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

Private Funeral Held for Boy, 8, Killed by Marathon Bomb

Posted: Updated:

The family of the youngest victim of the Boston Marathon bombing says a private funeral has been held for the boy, 8-year-old Martin Richard.

A statement released on behalf of the family says a funeral Mass was celebrated with immediate family on Tuesday, followed by burial. The family says it plans to hold a public memorial service for the boy sometime in the coming weeks.

Martin was one of three people killed in the April 15 attack at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. His mother and sister were among the more than 260 others wounded.

In the statement, the family from Boston's Dorchester neighborhood calls the past week "the most difficult week of our lives." It says they appreciated the outpouring of love and support they have received.

Meanwhile, family, friends and colleagues are paying their final respects to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer who authorities say was killed by the Boston Marathon bombing suspects.

A private funeral Mass for Sean Collier is scheduled for Tuesday at St. Patrick's Church in Stoneham.

A memorial service open to law enforcement and the MIT community only is scheduled for Wednesday on MIT's campus. Vice President Joe Biden is expected to attend.

The 27-year-old Collier was shot multiple times as he sat in his vehicle last Thursday.

He had worked for the MIT police for a little over a year and had been offered a job with the Somerville Police Department.

He was a Wilmington native and a graduate of Salem State University. 

He is survived by his parents and five siblings.

Public health officials are now saying that 264 people sought treatment at hospitals for injuries sustained in the Boston Marathon bombings.

Authorities had been saying that about 180 people were injured, but that was just victims brought to hospitals in the immediate aftermath of the April 15 explosions. Three people were killed and at least 14 people lost all or part of a limb.

The Boston Public Health Commission says the larger number includes people who delayed seeking treatment. For example, some people had ringing in their ears from the blasts and thought it might go away, but it persisted for several days. Other people sought delayed treatment for minor shrapnel wounds. Twenty-seven different hospitals treated the injured.

The commission said as of Tuesday, 51 people were still hospitalized.

(The Associated Press)

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.