FBI: Boston Bombs May Have Been in Pressure Cookers - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

FBI: Boston Bombs May Have Been in Pressure Cookers

Posted: Updated:

The FBI is confirming that pressure cookers may have been used in the Boston Marathon bombings that killed three and wounded more than 170.

FBI special agent in charge Richard DesLauriers spoke at a news conference Tuesday. 

He says pieces of black nylon and fragments of ball bearings and nails were found and authorities believe the bombs were placed in a dark-colored backpack or bag.

A source close to the investigation had said earlier that the bombs were made in 1.6-gallon pressure cookers, one containing shards of metal and ball bearings, the other packed with nails, and both stuffed into duffel bags.

A second person briefed on the investigation confirms that at least one of the explosives was made of a pressure cooker. Both spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing.

President Barack Obama will visit Boston on Thursday, three days after a pair of deadly bombings at the Boston Marathon.

Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick says Obama will be attending an interfaith service.

Hours after the explosions, Obama vowed that those responsible would be brought to justice. In remarks on Tuesday, he called the bombings an act of terrorism but said investigators still don't know who carried them out.

He also said the American people refuse to be terrorized.

Obama has traveled four times to cities reeling from mass violence, but all of the previous trips followed shooting incidents. The most recent was in December after the schoolhouse shooting in Newtown, Conn.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano says there is no evidence that the bombings at the Boston Marathon are part of a wider plot.

Napolitano says DHS will maintain what she called "enhanced security measures at transportation hubs" as a precaution.

Two people briefed on the investigation tell The Associated Press that a pair of bombs packed into pressure cookers and concealed in duffel bags blew up within seconds of each other.

They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not allowed to discuss the details publicly.

A 29-year-old restaurant manager is the latest victim to be indentified in Monday's deadly bombings.

Her father says Krystle Campbell, of Medford, Mass., had gone with her best friend to take a picture of the friend's boyfriend crossing the finish line on Monday afternoon.

William Campbell says his daughter, who worked at a restaurant in nearby Arlington, was "very caring, very loving person, and was daddy's little girl." He says the loss has devastated the family.

He says the friend was seriously injured in the explosion.

An 8-year-old, Martin Richard of Boston, also died. He was at the finish line watching the race with his family. 

In a statement, Martin's father, Bill Richard, said: "My dear son Martin has died from injuries sustained in the attack on Boston. My wife and daughter are both recovering from serious injuries. We thank our family and friends, those we know and those we have never met, for their thoughts and prayers."

Bill Richard asks everyone "continue to pray for my family as we remember Martin. We also ask for your patience and for privacy as we work to simultaneously grieve and recover."

The Chinese Consulate in New York says a Chinese national is the third person killed in the Boston marathon blasts.

An official at the consulate's press section, who was not authorized to give his name, said that one Chinese student was injured and another died in the blast.

The official said a work group from the consulate was in Boston to investigate the situation and assist relatives of the victims.

The official Chinese news agency Xinhua reported that relatives have requested that the deceased not be identified.

President Barack Obama said Tuesday the bombings were an act of terrorism but investigators do not know if they were carried out by an international or domestic organization, or perhaps by a "malevolent individual." 

He called the bombing "a heinous and cowardly act" used to target innocent civilians.

Obama spoke to reporters at the White House after a briefing by his national security team.

Obama has ordered flags at the White House and all government buildings to be flown at half-staff.

Obama signed a proclamation making the order Tuesday morning, calling it a "mark of respect for the victims of the senseless acts of violence."

Special Agent in Charge Richard DesLauriers says there are no known additional threats and agents are following a number of leads.

Police commissioner Ed Davis says it is the most complex crime scene in history of the department.

Authorities are looking for amateur video and photographic evidence that can give clues to who set off the bombs.

Massachusetts General Hospital's chief of trauma surgery says doctors removed "a variety of sharp objects," including pellets and nails, from the wounds of victims of the Boston Marathon explosions.

Dr. George Velmahos said Tuesday that in his opinion the metal fragments came from the bomb and not from the environment.

Velmahos says MGH treated 31 victims of the bombs that exploded in quick succession on Monday. The hospital performed four amputations and he said at least two more patients have legs that are still at risk of amputation.

Dr. Stephen Epstein of the emergency medicine department at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center says he saw an X-ray of one victim's leg that had "what appears to be small, uniform, round objects throughout it -- similar in the appearance to BBs."

The father of a man who was photographed being pushed away from the Boston Marathon bombing in a wheelchair says his son has had both legs amputated.

Jeff Bauman says his son, 27-year-old Jeff Bauman Jr., is the man in an Associated Press photo taken shortly after the bombing.

His father says on his Facebook page that his son had to have both lower limbs removed at Boston Medical Center because of extensive vascular and bone damage. He says his son also had to have another surgery because of fluid in his abdomen.

Bauman says his son was there to watch his girlfriend run. She was not hurt. He says his son was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Boston's Logan Airport has heightened security the day after two bombs exploded at the Boston Marathon.

One flight was returned to the gate and rescreened, while another was held after landing so authorities could inspect the baggage.

A US Airways spokesman says the Transportation Safety Administration asked that Flight 1716 from Philadelphia be parked remotely when it landed and the baggage inspected. Passengers were taken to a building away from the terminal during the inspection while luggage was unloaded and screened.

United Airways Flight 636 to Chicago was returned to the gate and passengers sent back through security screening at the request of the crew while the aircraft was swept. A United spokeswoman did not say why.

The TSA didn't immediately return calls seeking comment.

New York's LaGuardia Airport is fully open again after part of it was evacuated following a report of suspicious wiring.

Ron Marsico of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs the airport, says wires protruding from a fluorescent light fixture led someone to call authorities Tuesday morning. That prompted an evacuation of the upper level of the airport's central terminal building.

The main terminal was partially evacuated at about 10:30 a.m. and reopened about an hour later.

The Reno-Tahoe International Airport says it's on a heightened level of vigilance and maintains a high level of security. There is no impact on flight operations at this time. As always, it is recommended passengers allow 90 minutes prior to their scheduled departure for check-in and the security process.

The Nevada Department of Public Safety (DPS) and all law enforcement agencies statewide say they take all direct and indirect threats seriously and will continue to be proactive with security and enforcement strategies.

As a precautionary measure, the DPS is collaborating with federal officials to monitor and implement additional safety efforts after today's tragic event in Boston.

As a reminder if you "See Something, Say Something." Contact the Nevada Threat Analysis
Center at 775-687-0450,
http://dps.nv.gov or the Southern Nevada Counter Terrorism Center at 702- 828-7777, http://snctc.org to report suspicious activity.

The Boston Marathon says the race will go on in 2014.

The executive director of the Boston Athletic Association calls the race a "deeply held tradition -- an integral part of the fabric and history of our community."

Thomas Grilk says in a statement Tuesday that organizers are "committed to continuing that tradition" with the 118th Boston Marathon in 2014.

Grilk adds that his group is cooperating with law enforcement in the investigation of the bombings. Three people were killed and more than 170 were injured near the marathon finish line Monday.

Cuba is condemning the deadly attack on the Boston marathon and reiterated its rejection of all forms of terrorism, yet another small expression of goodwill between the traditional Cold War enemies.

Foreign Ministry official Josefina Vidal expressed "the most heartfelt condolences of the people and government of Cuba to the people and government of the United States, particularly those directly affected by this tragedy."

Vidal said Cuba "rejects and condemns unequivocally all acts of terrorism, in any place, under any circumstance, and with whatever motivation."

While the two countries have been at odds for half a century, Cuba has expressed solidarity in the past, most recently when a U.S. ambassador was killed in Libya.

Washington must soon decide whether to keep Cuba on a list of state sponsors of terrorism.

Brazil's foreign minister says "all necessary measures" are being taken to ensure security at next year's soccer World Cup and the 2016 Olympics following the deadly explosions at the Boston Marathon.

Antonio Patriota said Tuesday he is confident the country's security measures "will guarantee the security of the events."

While Brazil has never been a target of international terrorism, Monday's attacks underscore how vulnerable big sporting events can be. Some observers are predicting authorities beef up security heading for the events, though officials have so far provided few details.

Rio will also host two major events later this year, the Confederations Cup soccer tournament and the World Youth Day, a Roman Catholic pilgrimage that's expected to be attended by Pope Francis and as many as 2.5 million visitors.

The NFL plans to take what investigators learn in the aftermath of the Boston Marathon bombing and incorporate it into its security plans for the cold-weather Super Bowl at MetLife Stadium.

The league said Tuesday that it has raised its security levels for all its games and events since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks in 2001. For the past two years, it been working closely with federal, state and municipal agencies developing a comprehensive security plan for the Super Bowl, which will be played in the shadow of New York City.

"We do not comment on specifics of these programs but continue to review and evolve our plans to ensure the safety of everyone attending the Super Bowl," the league said in a statement.

Nevada Senator Harry Reid spoke on the Senate floor Tuesday regarding Monday's tragedy at the Boston Marathon.

Americans are still reeling from the senseless violence at the Boston Marathon yesterday. Our nation is united in its sympathy for the victims of the attack and their families.

Adding to the horror of the tragedy are the questions about who did this and why. The FBI and the Department of Homeland Security are investigating this attack as aggressively as possible. And, as President Obama said last night, rest assured that the perpetrators will feel the full weight of justice for their horrific crimes.

On the anti-gun violence legislation before the Senate, we are making good progress in the effort to schedule a series of votes on amendments. I have had several constructive discussions with the Republican leader.

The American people deserve to know where we stand on these important anti-violence proposals. We have already spent a week and a half on this legislation. It is time to begin processing amendments. And I hope we will be able to reach an agreement later today to hold votes on several amendments, including both Democratic and Republican amendments.

That series of votes would include a compromise background check proposal crafted by Senators Manchin and Toomey. This bipartisan measure has the support of anti-violence advocates and law enforcement groups as well as reasonable Second Amendment advocates. The measure would keep guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals by requiring background checks for private gun sales at gun shows and over the internet.

I am optimistic that cooperation from both sides will continue, and that victims of gun violence will get the debate and the votes they rightly deserve. 

(AP)

  • Today's Top StoriesMore>>

  • Ahmed Sends Aces to Playoffs

    Ahmed Sends Aces to Playoffs

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:38 AM EDT2014-09-02 05:38:20 GMT
    Nick Ahmed delivered a two-out, run-scoring base hit in the top of the tenth inning to give the Aces a 2-1 win over the Sacramento River Cats, sending Reno to the Pacific Coast League Playoffs.More >>
    Nick Ahmed delivered a two-out, run-scoring base hit in the top of the tenth inning to give the Aces a 2-1 win over the Sacramento River Cats, sending Reno to the Pacific Coast League Playoffs.
    More >>
  • Desperado's BBQ Wins Best Ribs in the West

    Desperado's BBQ Wins Best Ribs in the West

    Monday, September 1 2014 8:47 PM EDT2014-09-02 00:47:37 GMT
    The winner of the 2014 Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook-Off in Sparks, Nevada went to Desperado's BBQ from Hinckley, Ohio.More >>
    The winner of the 2014 Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook-Off in Sparks, Nevada went to Desperado's BBQ from Hinckley, Ohio.More >>
  • Lawsuit Against Nevada Wildlife Commission

    Lawsuit Against Nevada Wildlife Commission

    Monday, September 1 2014 7:47 PM EDT2014-09-01 23:47:40 GMT
    Two men have sued Nevada wildlife commissioners, saying current trapping regulations are causing needless suffering for thousands of "non-target" animals including dogs, golden eagles and mountain lions.More >>
    Two men have sued Nevada wildlife commissioners, saying current trapping regulations are causing needless suffering for thousands of "non-target" animals including dogs, golden eagles and mountain lions.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.