Warrant Issued for Las Vegas Strip Shooting Suspect - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

Warrant Issued for Las Vegas Strip Shooting Suspect

Posted: Updated:
Ammar Harris Ammar Harris

Police say they have a warrant for the arrest of a 26-year-old ex-convict identified as the prime suspect in a shooting and fiery crash that killed three last week on the Las Vegas Strip.

Police Capt. Chris Jones told reporters Monday that Ammar Harris faces three murder charges in the Thursday incident that killed the driver of a Maserati and a taxi driver and passenger.

District Attorney Steve Wolfson attended an afternoon news conference and afterward said he hoped Harris would surrender.

Wolfson called the case "of the highest importance," and said prosecutors are already working with police on the case.

Jones said billboard companies in Las Vegas were donating space to advertise the manhunt.

Police have widened their search to the southeastern U.S., where Harris used to live.

Public records show Harris lived in South Carolina and Georgia; was convicted in Atlanta in 2005 of marijuana possession; and was arrested in Miami in December on a reckless driving charge.

Harris also was arrested in June 2010 in Las Vegas on pandering, kidnapping, sex assault and coercion charges.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

  • Today's Top StoriesMore>>

  • Reno Police, FBI Investigate String of Fake Ransom Calls

    Reno Police, FBI Investigate String of Fake Ransom Calls

    Wednesday, September 3 2014 2:51 AM EDT2014-09-03 06:51:12 GMT
    Reno Police are working with the FBI on an investigation into a string of fake ransom calls Tuesday morning.More >>
    Reno Police are working with the FBI on an investigation into a string of fake ransom calls Tuesday morning.More >>
  • Suspect Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting Identified

    Suspect Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting Identified

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 9:19 PM EDT2014-09-03 01:19:35 GMT
    The Washoe County Medical Examiner's Office has identified 42-year-old Royal Shawn Bingamen, from Idaho, as the armed robbery suspect who was killed in a shootout with Reno police Sunday night.More >>
    The Washoe County Medical Examiner's Office has identified 42-year-old Royal Shawn Bingamen, from Idaho, as the armed robbery suspect who was killed in a shootout with Reno police Sunday night.More >>
  • State Attorney General Files suit against the Washoe School Trustees

    State Attorney General Files suit against the Washoe School Trustees

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 7:08 PM EDT2014-09-02 23:08:29 GMT
    The list of legal problems for the Washoe School District grew this morning as the State Attorney General's Office filed six counts each against the six trustees involved in the Pedro Martinez suit. But The School Board's outside counsel says he began working on settlement in that matter since last Wednesday and able to file it immediately. The suit alleges the trustees made six different violations to the State Open Meeting Law and that they should be paying $500 per violation. Those violati...More >>
    The list of legal problems for the Washoe School District grew this morning as the State Attorney General's Office filed six counts each against the six trustees involved in the Pedro Martinez suit. But The School Board's outside counsel says he began working on settlement in that matter since last Wednesday and able to file it immediately. The suit alleges the trustees made six different violations to the State Open Meeting Law and that they should be paying $500 per violation. Those violati...More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.