One Year Anniversary of Washoe Drive Fire Saturday
Saturday marked one year since the Washoe Drive Fire brought devastation to many families south of Reno.
The fire started in the afternoon of January 19th, 2012. When the fire was over, 29 homes had been destroyed and one person died. Another 3,200 acres were blackened as well.
Firefighters later determined that improperly-discarded fireplace ashes caused the fire.
Tom and Debbie Baker are a Pleasant Valley couple who lost their home. They talked to Channel 2 News on Saturday about the Washoe Drive Fire.
"By the time I got to work, my wife called and said the flames had jumped the road and were coming toward Pleasant Valley," Tom said. "By the time I got back here, my house was engulfed."
They tell us they are still in the process of rebuilding. They say the community has been wonderful in helping them get started.
"My neighbor threw us a party and she had everyone bring a Christmas ornament for Christmas," Debbie said. "So, we totally had Christmas because of my neighbor Lisa. Oh, my gosh. Yeah, that one made me cry!"
Other residents say the wet winter we've had so far should help the regrowth in the area this spring.
Citing a lack of leads, a police agency said Monday that it is closing the active investigation of the disappearance of Susan Powell, a Utah mother whose now-dead husband was a prime suspectMore >>
The lawyer for the family of missing Utah woman Susan Powell said Tuesday that there's an ongoing federal investigation into her disappearance, but the FBI declined to comment on that and police in Utah said they...More >>