Last-Minute Shoppers Prepare for Thanksgiving - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

Last-Minute Shoppers Prepare for Thanksgiving

Posted: Updated:

Thanksgiving is just a day away and that means many people are taking care of some last-minute grocery shopping before the big feast.

Grocery store managers tell us most people have gotten their shopping out of the way already, but they also say they still expect a lot of shoppers tonight to pick up some smaller items.

"I'm doing the pies," Liz Mounce said. "Got everything else. I'm doing the pies now."

"Flowers for the table, asparagus, ice for the drinks," Martha Pollack said.

Pollack is hosting dinner tomorrow, and even though she is buying things today, she's already started meal preparations.

"I have a 27-pound turkey," Pollack said. "I have ham. I made 15 pies, on Monday, because everybody that takes leftovers takes a pie home."

Others, you could say, have a little bit of the pregame jitters.

"I am excited," Annette Kezes said. "I just hope I don't mess the turkey up. I haven't done it in a long time."

But not everybody is having people over for Thanksgiving.

Some will be guests at the dinner table, tomorrow.

So, they're just helping out.

"Just a few things for appetizers," Sharon Dagoff said. "I got off easy, this year. My son-in-law and daughter are doing the whole thing."

"My son is cooking Thanksgiving because I just got a new knee," Mary Maples said. "That's my excuse not to cook."

As you might expect, most people have a lot of the same things on the menu.

"Mashed potatoes, turkey, ham, cranberry sauce, peas, carrots," Maples said.

With so much food on the mind, many say they have a lot to be thankful for and a lot to look forward to.

"It's a good time to get together and relax," Dagoff said. "Even though we see each other during the year, you don't really sit and relax a lot when we get together because everyone's busy."

"Being with family," Kezes said. "My mom is here. She's 87 years old, so I'm bringing her in, tomorrow, and I already have three Christmas trees, up in my house. So, I'm ready for the holidays."

Some people say they expect to make one more trip to the store tomorrow, when they realize they forgot something like whip cream or cranberry sauce.

One employee says he sees a lot of people scrambling in because their turkey didn't thaw out in time.

So, keep that in mind.

Written by Paul Nelson
  • Today's Top StoriesMore>>

Aces Lose Finale in New Orleans

Wednesday, August 20 2014 2:49 AM EDT2014-08-20 06:49:30 GMT
    The Reno Aces dropped a tight series finale in New Orleans as the Zephyrs used a two-run homer by Mark Canha to top the Aces, 3-2, at Zephyr Field Tuesday night.More >>

CDC: Patient Tested for Ebola at California Hospital

Tuesday, August 19 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-08-20 01:57:17 GMT
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is testing a possible Ebola patient who was admitted to Kaiser Permanente Northern California in Sacramento Tuesday.More >>

Secretary of Veterans Affairs Visits Reno

Tuesday, August 19 2014 9:02 PM EDT2014-08-20 01:02:16 GMT
    The new Secretary of Veterans Affairs is in town today speaking with veterans and elected leaders about the state of the health care system. Robert McDonald is visiting less than three months after Eric Shinseki stepped down from the post.More >>
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

Woman on Life Support After Being Struck by Vehicle

Tuesday, August 19 2014 11:37 AM EDT2014-08-19 15:37:43 GMT
    Sparks Police are investigating a traffic accident involving a pedestrian at 9th and C Street in Sparks.More >>

Amazon Moving to Reno From Fernley

Monday, August 18 2014 7:55 PM EDT2014-08-18 23:55:37 GMT
    Three days after we learned about amazon.com moving its Fernley distribution center to Reno, we're learning more about the impacts the move could have on both northern Nevada cities.More >>

AG Holder Brings His Civil Rights Push to Ferguson

Tuesday, August 19 2014 5:01 PM EDT2014-08-19 21:01:57 GMT
    Attorney General Eric Holder's trip to Ferguson, Missouri, Wednesday brings the full weight of the U.S. government to its investigation of the police shooting of unarmed 18-year-old Michael Brown.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.