Last-Minute Shoppers Prepare for Thanksgiving - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

Last-Minute Shoppers Prepare for Thanksgiving

Posted: Updated:

Thanksgiving is just a day away and that means many people are taking care of some last-minute grocery shopping before the big feast.

Grocery store managers tell us most people have gotten their shopping out of the way already, but they also say they still expect a lot of shoppers tonight to pick up some smaller items.

"I'm doing the pies," Liz Mounce said. "Got everything else. I'm doing the pies now."

"Flowers for the table, asparagus, ice for the drinks," Martha Pollack said.

Pollack is hosting dinner tomorrow, and even though she is buying things today, she's already started meal preparations.

"I have a 27-pound turkey," Pollack said. "I have ham. I made 15 pies, on Monday, because everybody that takes leftovers takes a pie home."

Others, you could say, have a little bit of the pregame jitters.

"I am excited," Annette Kezes said. "I just hope I don't mess the turkey up. I haven't done it in a long time."

But not everybody is having people over for Thanksgiving.

Some will be guests at the dinner table, tomorrow.

So, they're just helping out.

"Just a few things for appetizers," Sharon Dagoff said. "I got off easy, this year. My son-in-law and daughter are doing the whole thing."

"My son is cooking Thanksgiving because I just got a new knee," Mary Maples said. "That's my excuse not to cook."

As you might expect, most people have a lot of the same things on the menu.

"Mashed potatoes, turkey, ham, cranberry sauce, peas, carrots," Maples said.

With so much food on the mind, many say they have a lot to be thankful for and a lot to look forward to.

"It's a good time to get together and relax," Dagoff said. "Even though we see each other during the year, you don't really sit and relax a lot when we get together because everyone's busy."

"Being with family," Kezes said. "My mom is here. She's 87 years old, so I'm bringing her in, tomorrow, and I already have three Christmas trees, up in my house. So, I'm ready for the holidays."

Some people say they expect to make one more trip to the store tomorrow, when they realize they forgot something like whip cream or cranberry sauce.

One employee says he sees a lot of people scrambling in because their turkey didn't thaw out in time.

So, keep that in mind.

Written by Paul Nelson
  • Today's Top StoriesMore>>

Wildfire in El Dorado County

Sunday, September 14 2014 11:58 PM EDT2014-09-15 03:58:40 GMT
    A wildfire is burning in El Dorado County. The fire has quickly grown to 2,500 acres after jumping containment lines overnight.More >>

Comic-Con comes to Reno

Sunday, September 14 2014 11:09 PM EDT2014-09-15 03:09:11 GMT
    Hundreds of people came to the Sands Regency today to take part in the inaugural Sands-Reno Comic-Con.More >>
    More >>

Nevada Soccer Loses to Arizona State

Sunday, September 14 2014 9:22 PM EDT2014-09-15 01:22:03 GMT
    A five-goal first half proved to be too much for the Nevada soccer team as it dropped a 5-0 match Sunday afternoon to Arizona State on the final day of the Arizona Cats Classic.More >>
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

Reward Offer for Hit-and-Run Arrest

Sunday, September 14 2014 2:15 PM EDT2014-09-14 18:15:41 GMT
    Secret Witness is offering a reward in the amount of $1,000.00 for information leading to the arrest and prosecution of the suspect wanted in connection with the hit and run of two victims in the area of Sullivan and Oddie Blvd. Sparks, NV.More >>

Adrian Peterson Not at Stadium for Today's Game

Sunday, September 14 2014 1:47 PM EDT2014-09-14 17:47:44 GMT
    Adrian Peterson did not accompany the Minnesota Vikings to the stadium on Sunday for the game against the New England Patriots. More >>

Navy Confirms Morning Sighting was Missile Test

Friday, September 12 2014 8:55 PM EDT2014-09-13 00:55:55 GMT
    Was it a plane? Was it a star? Could it have been space debris, or even the space station passing over? That's what folks who were up early this morning were asking today after they saw a bright light fly over Northern Nevada and disappear.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.