Homeowners Continue Rebuilding One Year After Caughlin Fire - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

Homeowners Continue Rebuilding One Year After Caughlin Fire

Posted: Updated:

The Caughlin Fire was one of the most devestating fires in Reno's history.

Just after midnight on November 18th, 2011, extreme winds fanned a brush fire near Caughlin Ranch.

The flames burned more than two dozen homes to the ground. Now, one year later, people are still rebuilding. Homes were destroyed and lives were changed, but for the residents on Mountain Springs Road, Sunday was a celebration.

"Wow, I'm here. I'm here," says Judith Reuter. "And, I'm talking to you. That's what we're celebrating."  

Not much on Judith's property has changed since her home burned down one year ago.

"There's still a disconnect," she says. "It's hard to believe that there was a house here that I lived in."

Judith remembers when the flames reached her neighborhood in the middle of the night.

"I was sound asleep, and a neighbor came, my next-door neighbor, came and work me up, grabbed my hand," she says. "We ran."

That neighbor was Victor Valdez. He and his family grabbed Judith, and they all drove off together that night. None of them saw their homes again.

"We're very emotional, but yet, looking at pictures that we took during the night, we can certainly count our blessings," says Victor.

One of those blessings is Victor's son. Victor and his wife had no idea she was pregnant the night of the fire.

"I just get to hold him and know that everything is going to be just fine," says Victor. "That's all that really matters is our new beginning."

A new beginning -- That's exactly what Inez Miles is still working toward. Her house also burned in the Caughlin Fire.

The family has rebuilt since then, and is moving into the new house next month. But, the last 12 months haven't been easy.

"My life has been turned totally upside down," says Inez. "It's surreal, that's all I can say."

We talked to Inez last November, just a few days after the fire. She continues rebuilding her life, and says everything happens for a reason.

"I don't know what the reason is for this, but I have to believe that there was a purpose and that things are just going to continue to get better," she says.  

Judith and Victor also plan on rebuilding their homes. Before the fire, these two people were simply neighbors, but from tragedy, grew a friendship.

"From here forward, we are family," says Judith. "And, we are."

Written by Adam Rasmussen

  • Today's Top StoriesMore>>

  • Suspect Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting Identified

    Suspect Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting Identified

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 9:19 PM EDT2014-09-03 01:19:35 GMT
    The Washoe County Medical Examiner's Office has identified 42-year-old Royal Shawn Bingamen, from Idaho, as the armed robbery suspect who was killed in a shootout with Reno police Sunday night.More >>
    The Washoe County Medical Examiner's Office has identified 42-year-old Royal Shawn Bingamen, from Idaho, as the armed robbery suspect who was killed in a shootout with Reno police Sunday night.More >>
  • State Attorney General Files suit against the Washoe School Trustees

    State Attorney General Files suit against the Washoe School Trustees

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 7:08 PM EDT2014-09-02 23:08:29 GMT
    The list of legal problems for the Washoe School District grew this morning as the State Attorney General's Office filed six counts each against the six trustees involved in the Pedro Martinez suit. But The School Board's outside counsel says he began working on settlement in that matter since last Wednesday and able to file it immediately. The suit alleges the trustees made six different violations to the State Open Meeting Law and that they should be paying $500 per violation. Those violati...More >>
    The list of legal problems for the Washoe School District grew this morning as the State Attorney General's Office filed six counts each against the six trustees involved in the Pedro Martinez suit. But The School Board's outside counsel says he began working on settlement in that matter since last Wednesday and able to file it immediately. The suit alleges the trustees made six different violations to the State Open Meeting Law and that they should be paying $500 per violation. Those violati...More >>
  • Paleo Program to Lose Weight

    Paleo Program to Lose Weight

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 7:03 PM EDT2014-09-02 23:03:32 GMT
    The paleo lifestyle might be the right thing for you to lose weight.  At least a local doctor's office thinks so.More >>
    The paleo lifestyle might be the right thing for you to lose weight.  At least a local doctor's office thinks so.
    More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.