Fire Sprinkler Safety Demonstration Held in South Reno - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

Fire Sprinkler Safety Demonstration Held in South Reno

Posted: Updated:

Firefighters demonstrated how sprinklers can help save lives in a house fire at conference in south Reno on Tuesday.

Crews burned two living room mockups for a firefighters' conference at the Reno-Sparks Convention Center this week.

The one that lacked a sprinkler was destroyed, but the room with a sprinkler suffered moderate damage.

Firefighters say sprinklers have become more common in homes in recent years because modern furniture burns much more quickly.

"They just seem to burn a lot faster than they did in the olden days with cotton. Now we have polyester, more oil based type of furniture. They burn quicker which means you have less time to get out of the house in a fire," says Sparks Fire Marshal Bob King.

Firefighters say 80% of fire deaths happen at home.

Sprinklers can add life-saving minutes in a fire. 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.