Thousands Race To Find A Cure For Breast Cancer - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

Thousands Race To Find A Cure For Breast Cancer

Posted: Updated:
© Anne Burns © Anne Burns

Thousands gathered at the Grand Sierra Resort in Reno Sunday morning to help find a cure for breast cancer.

More than 4,500 people registered for the 14th annual Northern Nevada Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure.

This year's race offers 5k runs and walks, along with a one mile fitness walk. Our very own Wendy Damonte was this year's honorary chairperson.

Since 1998, the Northern Nevada affiliate of the Susan G. Komen Foundation has raised more than $3 million to help local women battling this disease.

"The work that we do in Northern Nevada is with education, screening and treatment services for those women who can't afford it," said Emily Nelson, Board President for the Susan G. Komen Foundation of Northern Nevada.

Dozens of breast cancer survivors took the stage in pink shirts as they were recognized for their courage.

"When you see these women in their pink shirts here," Nelson said. "It's important because women are surviving breast cancer today."

"We're here to say breast cancer is not a death sentence, and you are all living proof," Damonte said on the stage, referring those women who were honored.

We met a few brave women who have been personally affected by cancer.

"I'm a 2-year survivor," said Carin Charles of Reno. "I'm here to celebrate myself and all the other women out there."

"I was diagnosed with breast cancer in April and I just finished chemotherapy two weeks ago," said Jamie DeBates of Sparks. "So, I'm out here to support all the women fighting breast cancer."

DeBates tells us some very important people in her life have been supportive while she receives treatment.

"I have amazing family and friends that have supported me throughout the whole thing," she said. "It's been amazing."

DeBates and Charles have words of encouragement for others going through breast cancer.

"Keep your faith, stay strong," Charles said.

"Stay strong and rely on your friends and family for the support," DeBates said. "You're going to need it, if you're going through something like this. It's a battle, but you can do it!"

Event organizers say 75 percent of the proceeds from this event will go toward local breast cancer programs, while the remaining 25 percent will help fund research to find a cure.

For more information or to donate to the Northern Nevada affiliate of the Susan G. Komen Foundation: http://www.komennorthnv.org/

Written by Adam Varahachaikol
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Woman Dies at Burning Man

    Woman Dies at Burning Man

    Thursday, August 28 2014 4:28 PM EDT2014-08-28 20:28:49 GMT
    An early morning incident has left one woman dead at the Burning Man festival in Nevada's Black Rock Desert.More >>
    An early morning incident has left one woman dead at the Burning Man festival in Nevada's Black Rock Desert.More >>
  • 2 Injured in Helicopter Crash

    2 Injured in Helicopter Crash

    Thursday, August 28 2014 3:29 PM EDT2014-08-28 19:29:38 GMT
    The Douglas County Sheriff's Office reports that two people have suffered minor injuries in a helicopter crash on Wednesday, August 27th.More >>
    The Douglas County Sheriff's Office reports that two people have suffered minor injuries in a helicopter crash on Wednesday, August 27th.More >>
  • Spider Season is Here, More Black Widows Are Near

    Spider Season is Here, More Black Widows Are Near

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 9:16 PM EDT2014-08-28 01:16:54 GMT
    Its spider season here in the Truckee Meadows… that means we're seeing a huge influx of black widows and other bugs outside right now. Spider season starts in early August and goes until late October and even early November. More >>
    Its spider season here in the Truckee Meadows… that means we're seeing a huge influx of black widows and other bugs outside right now. Spider season starts in early August and goes until late October and even early November. More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Sarkes Tarzian, Inc. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.