Three adults and two children won't be sleeping at home anytime soon after a two-alarm fire nearly destroyed two homes in southwest Reno Monday night.
Fire investigators say energized electrical wiring near the fence separating the two properties on Brookview Court probably started the fire.
When firefighters arrived on scene two homes were burning. Crews battled the blaze for several hours before finally getting a handle on it.
"When the initial crew showed up, they did do interior attacks on both structures. They had to be withdrawn because of ceiling collapses from both structures," said Captain Jon Johnson of the Reno Fire Department. "They were able to save significant portions of both structures."
Firefighters tell us the fire presented some problems for them when trying to get equipment on scene because of narrow streets in the area.
Luckily, no one was hurt and the people living in each of the houses managed to escape.